Do stands make a difference for equipment?

Does the kind of stand you use make a difference, especially with components other than turntables? I realize how much difference a good stand can make for a TT, but does it make much of a difference for your preamp, CD player, and other front end units? How about amp stands? I'm trying to decide if it's worth upgrading my stand to something more robust, which means pending $$$. I currently use an old Target T5 stand, which is similar to the Solid Steel 3 series, and have just switched to a Sound Anchor stand for my amp. Since I switched amps at the same time, and the amp weights 200 lbs., I'm not going to AB it with my old stand.
Would love to hear what experiences you have had with different stands.

Thanks and good listening,
Mike
128x128mrvordo
Syntax,

I agree that one must not spend exuberantly to achieve positive results to damp or quell harmful vibrations; which in my opinion, negatively impact the playback of music from source components. The Schroer udn Schroer glass rack was a step up from the Saturn Spectral rack I owned before.
http://www.justhifi.de/Schroers-und-Schroers_Fly-Audio_a5080.html

I am wondering why you opted to use the Ikea wood series of platforms which you are using now versus the Copulare you owned previously? I think your new implementation of vibration control would be a great solution for a few audio geeks wanting more than just standard vibration control. Es war ok, war aber nicht mein Geschmack. It is not my taste for both; looks and vibration control.

My analysis and decision making process wa sbased on aesthetics and proven results. I tested the Copulare racks at home before I purchased them. Both my wife and I agreed on the looks and well, the sound decision was also both of ours.

Here is a brief description of the Copluare racks I own.
Each Copulare wood platform is filled with a mix of two variations of sand to further dampen the internal grids. Each of the rack assemblies are fully welded and powder coated to whatever finish a customer wants and also filled with sand. The wood platforms can also be painted to whatever color the customer wants. Each wooden platform on the rack is spiked the braced metal frame with a screw-in spike and then rests on a leather strip which sits atop the mounting area. It is a three leg and three spike per platform system. The music was simply more focused, refined, articulate, and had more authority, whereas before, I thought the music seem to have an etch, something I always fought with. In comparison, the Clearaudio MontBlanc turntable stand is such a mass loaded beast, weighing in at over 225p pounds, I never have vibrational issues with the turntable. Enough has been said here about mass and the pros and cons.

Again, my opinion is that specific mass characteristics are more beneficial than others to achieve positive results in reducing or damping vibrational issues.

To better help the OP better answer the question, it is important to know and realize that any form of vibrational control, no matter what the costs, can impart a change to the reproduced sound, both; in a positive or detrimental manner. It is that alteration in sound reproduction where the OP must make a decision if it is acceptable or not to use the specific vibration control.
The OP has to decide if he seeks isolation type products or energy conduit -transfer engineered products such as Star Sound.They are very different.
Regards,
This is also about the best way I'm aware of to take a direct shot at reducing digital "self noise" inside a component.

Bravo. Someone is taking the "discipline" forward through innovation. The whole concept of self-noise is integral to this discussion. It is akin to what Nordost demonstrated with jitter and cabling changes using software measurements. I know Starsound has provisions for formal testing in the works.

Total cost, about $500. How much better can a expensive stand improve on this?

There is only one way to find out! I have used Herbie's stuff in the past and it is a very good value. One thing to remember is that a lot of this comes down to system voicing. Herbie dots or Sorbethane or possibly Equarack can soften a front end that is prone to brightness. I have heard that....

...at the end of day most stands should be seen as a design element.

Au contraire. It is not decorative but is an engineered, holistic extension of your equipment. Again, that thought is a vestige of yesteryear. By way of analogy, look at how speaker manufacturers are pursuing mechanical grounding and isolation. Gone are the days of hollow, MDF boxes along with sideburns, tweed coats and crooked, yellow teeth...
The first thing to do on your way to the design table for your first rack or platform rendering is to say to yourself over and over again..isolation is only possible in the absence of matter. Now to step two. Tom