Great network streamers with only USB outputs

I'm looking to upgrade my streaming from a Logitech Transporter to something a bit more hi-end.

Problem is most of my choices have USB outputs only. My DAC Bel Canto 3.7 (recently upgraded by Ace Tomato) Doesn't support USB. All of a sudden it seems like manufacturers are putting usb outs only. I'm looking at Sonore Rendu & Innuos products mainly because I will be able to keep the Squeezebox ecosystem with these products, and they both appear to be of good quality. Some of the Innuos products do provide Spdif out, but they have internal DACs, which I'm not interested in.

Now I'm longing for a DAC that supports USB. maybe the Bel Canto 2.7 which I'm not sure if it will be better than my Bel Canto 3.7 with upgraded power supply etc.

Do USB converters degrade the audio signal ? Do I have to search  out and expensive USB to SPDIF converter ?

I wonder what others are doing with older type DACs that they love ?

The Sonore Rendu setup looks real hi-end. Seems they have really taken the time to clean up the digital audio signal. I would really like to go that route. Their USB to SPDIF converter costs $500usd.

Please don't bother recommending other streamers which take me out of the Squeezebox LMS ecosystem.

Maybe tell me about your work around for USB out only devices. Perhaps someone can give me a comparisons on the Bel Canto 3.7 to the Bel Canto 2.7. I love Bel canto and might just change DACs. As the 2.7 is more future proof.

Thanks for any input you may be able to provide.

128x128bunkertoy

If your streamer only outputs USB you have the option to connect the USB to a DDC, which would allow various options for outputs to your DAC and which may also improve the signal going to the DAC.  Here is one of the many options.

@erik_squires 

I don't know about most, but here's a good example with S/PDIF as well as USBoutputs.

Keep in mind that USB has better jitter and also much higher bandwidth than S/PDIF.  If you are happy with your DAC and it's high rez capabilities then that shouldn't matter to you, but if you want to stream high resolution DSD for instance that will need USB.

RE:Jitter...with Spdif since the clocking is performed at the source rather than the dac, would it be more accurate to say that jitter depends on the quality of the clock at the source if using spdif or at the dac if using usb?

@ghasley - Kind of.  I'd say rather that with S/PDIF:

Final Jitter >= Streamer Jitter > DAC Jitter

Generally speaking, the best jitter performance comes from excellent clocks which are cozied up to the DAC chip, with very short traces so it's nearly impossible for a streamer to equal the performance of a DAC with a excellent jitter performance.

Having said this, we may be splitting hairs as jitter performance is overall just so much better than the first days of the CD.

all 432evo servers can run lms or Roon natively and are usb based servers

they sound amazing and are upgradable.

Dave and Troy

audio intellect NJ

432evo dealer

Post removed