Handling Heavy Amps

There are several amps I’m interested in possibly purchasing but I’m dissuaded because of their weight. I’ve had lower back issues so I need to be careful. I live alone. Even if my wife was still alive she would not have been able to help much. Also Children live far. I see that many of you have these 60-100 pound behemoths and I wonder how do you manage. If I buy from my dealer he’ll load it in my SUV. However when I get home it will be difficult to get it out and onto the garage floor where I can place it on my handcart. Then when I get it next to my rack I need to maneuver it out of the box and up onto the rack. I guess I would need to see if my dealer would deliver it and place it on the rack. Probably for a fee. So that may work. But then if I need to paint, move furniture, resell the unit whatever I would need help. I think I can handle up to 40lbs. So how do you handle these amps? Is it a concern for you?  I’m spoiled by my Benchmark 12 lb AHB2. It’s also the reason I’ve been investigating Class D amps. 

jfrmusic

40-45 pounds is pretty much the weight limit for me as well these days. Right now I’m running an SST Son of Ampzilla 2 (with a sound I’d describe as equal parts tubish , Class A ish and, Class AB ish) into first gen Von Schweikert VR-4s. Amp is 40 lbs on the dot—and the setup sounds pretty great. Very good bass, transparent high frequencies  and naturally detailed sounding midrange. Excellent sound staging as well. A little more forward in presentation than Pass amps, but I suspect a little less so than the AHB2.

@laginz 

I did my best to find a light weight amp I could live with. But once I was able to have it delivered and setup for me I decided to entertain amps under 70 pounds. And there are many in that 45-70 lb range. It came down to the Bryston 4b3 at 62lbs and the Accuphase p-4600 at 66lbs. If I need to I’ll have someone help me move the amp. For example If I get new carpeting the installers will move it just like they will move the furniture. It will be an unusual case for me to needed it moved. 

I’ve dealt with the same.  Because I don’t move gear often, but have had some heavy items I can’t even slide across the floor, I hire “College Hunks.”  Gosh, I’m laughing at posting the name of this company.  Either way, these two mule’s with head hair show up, and basically do the work.  Last time it cost me $250 for them to position my speakers, move my amps and put some items in the rack.  Back felt great all day!

@jfrmusic congratulations on your new amp! So do you think you’re done or is there anything else that’s on a chopping block?

@audphile1 

Yes this is the final piece of the system;

Aurender N20 Streamer

MSB Discrete DAC

Accuphase P-4600 Amplifier 

Harbeth C7es-XD Speakers 

I will have completely replaced my current system 
I guess at some point I’ll go down the rabbit hole of power cords for my components.

I’ve already listed my Benchmark DAC3 HGC and HPA4 on EBay  Need to wait until the Accuphase arrives before listing the ABH2