I heard the Box

I never quite followed what people meant when they commented "All I heard was the box"
when listening to a speaker. 

I experienced it now twice in the past month. Once with some Dynaco A25s and then with a pair
of Electrovoice EV 4s.

My problem is now that hear the box, I can't seem to unheard it. 

These old gems were meant to be used in my office mostly for FM radio background.

So my question is- A load of both of these speakers were sold over many years so
how did people get around this issue?

I am now leaning toward an Andrew Jones dual concentric bookshelf solution.
Those I have heard in my home and sounded quite acceptable at $600 new.

chorus
Having owned a couple pairs of magnepans I can say they do have their strengths. But after a while, the lack of dynamics and reasonable bass response and punch left me wanting more. If you are "hearing the box", you bought the wrong box.

Oz

millercarbon9,636 posts
I always dreamed of meeting another who can actually hear these things.

Chuck, one thing has always cast doubt on your superior hearing abilities for me. It’s your claim that there is no difference between the sound of different tubes. I can’t understand how someone who can hear the difference between his cable elevators with and without rubber bands can’t hear the difference between a current production Russian made Mullard, a vintage Telefunken and a vintage Amperex, for example. Maybe you’ve changed your mind about that. Have you?
If you don’t want to hear boxes there are other choices.  It’s not the end of the world.