I Sold my CD Player!!! Streaming sounds so incredible!!!

Several years ago, was the very first time I had the opportunity to hear a very high end, high quality, streaming audio system.  Once I heard it, I was smitten, and I knew right then and there that this was me all the way!!!  I was absolutely blown away by the handy convenience of the little iPad (or cell phone) used as remotes to control the otherworldly access to a virtual ocean of music via Tidal, Qobuz or downloads.  I immediately recognized this new technology as the future of my own audio system, especially with all the new hi rez stuff out there that was now made available. I gave up vinyl when CD came on the scene (yes, I'm an old guy), and, now, perhaps, it would be finally time to retire my beloved CD player.  Long story short:  What put my streaming audio system over the top, as far as sound quality is concerned, was the assemblage of these core streaming devices-----( #1) A superb DAC, by Ayre Acoustics QX-5 Twenty streaming DAC  (#2)  An outstanding music server, by Roon Nucleus Plus  (#3) An outstanding Audio Switch, by Pakedge Devices   (#4) Excellent Ethernet Cables, by Shunyata Sigma.  I also utilize numerous other tweaks and filters that further purify the streaming audio signal within my room and audio system.  At this juncture in life, I am just mesmerized by the combination of sound quality and convenience that I get through my streaming audio system.  I'm also happy and pleased to report that, I don't miss my old beloved CD player one bit.  Happy listening.              

kennymacc

.I’m amazed that analog works at all...dragging a tiny MC stylus through some plastic...amazing.

+1 @wolf_garcia It is amazing. I always equate it to riding roller coasters to make music. Plus it’s still a somewhat popular thing which is even more amazing.

Like you I listen to Classical Music, both opera and classical music. As an audiophile with a very well outfitted Roon system and duplicated on the Naim Uniti Core that I started on by ripping my CD collection and editing the metadata and with a CD Collection of over 4000 albums,

Hmmm, what the hell am I missing here?

When you all rip your 4000 cds or 10000 cds, do you throw the files willy nelly into a nas drive (hoping metadata will save you) OR do you organize a folder tree by root folder genre --’>> Artist name folder (alphabetical) ---->> Album names folder?? ....which is how cds or vinyl sits in the racks

If the Metadata tracker fails, why can’t you all simply browse by folder to get to your favorite song bird for the day? Seems like a common sense thought process/solution is getting buried by promise of a failed "Metadata" miracle....

It is amazing. I always equate it to riding roller coasters to make music. Plus it’s still a somewhat popular thing which is even more amazing.

What’s getting even more popular in ultra high end vinyl audiophilia is putting that vinyl through a Sugar Cube filter or whatever adc/dac chain to remove the pops and the crackles and the brrrss and the....sounds of an organic life (they say)  to make vinyl sound more hifi..

Mmmhmm

One of the downsides to streaming mentioned, and that is sudden disappearance of recordings from streaming services. And it will be the exact same artist and album from both Tidal and Qobuz. I presume disputes with artists and/or record labels here? The funny thing is sometimes they reappear, either dispute settled or are these server glitches? So, one might consider purchasing the cd of the deleted recording, sorry that cd may no longer be available for purchase. Shazam, magical disappearing act.

Point is, yes, recordings disappear from streaming services, but physical media disappears as well. I fully expect production and distribution of cd's to continue to decline, in recent years I've observed two sites I previously purchased cd's from ceasing business. I expect both vinyl and cd's will continue with very limited releases available.

@jimmyblues1959 "Vinyl and CD are more popular than ever????" Unfortunately, nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, just the opposite of what you stated is true. Yes, vinyl and CD may still be popular with old farts like us, for all the reasons you so explicitly stated. However, amongst the young, say, ages 18-40, vinyl and CD are virtually nonexistent. In today’s world, the vast majority of those who represent the future of high end audio, or, music listening in general, stream their music exclusively. Yes, I’m afraid that todays world of high end audio has become more like an exclusive club for more well-heeled senior citizens like us who grew up with and are still clinging onto the old technologies that we still hold so dear to our hearts. And that, in a nutshell is what today’s high end audio represents. High end audio seems to be becoming a dying breeds, perhaps because of it’s inability to embrace and promote the new digital technologies, instead of allowing itself to become dominated by the old and antiquated. Go take a visit to your local high end audio shop, or go out and attend one of the big audio shows, you’d think you were at an old folks convention for the middle age and beyond, Lol. Sad, considering how beautiful and vibrant the world of high end audio was in years past. If there is to be a long term future for high end audio, it must embrace the new digital world, or else it will eventually fade away along with all us old farts. Happy listening.