Integrated S.E.T Amp and Bookshelf Speakers Recommendations

Greeting! When I was looking for a CD transport replacement I received great info and advice here.

Now that les fil #3 is adulting, I have my own office/library/hiding place. I am exploring lower wattage integrated SET amps and higher efficiency (92+) bookshelf stand-mount speakers, with a relatively flat signal response. I listen to lots of jazz; smaller chamber music groups and Early Music; acoustic bluegrassy, folk and the like. 

I'm looking for an amp that can do the following- liquid tonality with instruments; good realism and immediacy with voices; solid 3 dimensionality; sweet and airy treble; and defined decays. I want it all, lol.

I'm going to audition the following because these are names I have read about.

Elekit TU8600R, UnisonTriode 25, Sophia Electric Prodigy Dual Mono. Any others?

As far as speakers-Audio Note and Harbeth. Any others?

Budget-I'm listening and learning.

Anyone have any thoughts and recommendations?

Thanks again!

David

128x128wharfy

I'm a toob noob, but will say that you can get what you are looking for with single ended pentode integrateds and stand mounts for under 10K with some searching and patience.

I got my Audio Note AN-K speakers and OTO SE integrated for $8k used.  It took awhile, but I'm enjoying the sonic experience now.  All that you said you wanted above is what I'm hearing.  

Keep your eyes open and good luck.

on amps I would recommend the following:

Alan Eaton Shop | Alan Eaton Amplifier (alaneatonamplifiers.com)

John Nouwens (in South Africa) JR Tube Audio (jr-tubeaudio.com)

Audio Note Cobra

For speakers

Klipsch RP 8000F II

Qualio IO (from Poland)

Omega Audio

regards,

Manu

The Audio Note OTO SE with the AN-K speakers work well. The Cobra is a nice amp, but it isn’t single ended.  FYI- the OTO also comes in push pull, so if you insist on single ended, be sure it’s the SE version. 

@chayro is correct. The Cobra is a PP but honestly it is better than most SE amps. Very tight. I have another Audio Note, that’s single ended and also level 2- P2SE. Cobra is better.

The new WE91E can drive more difficult speakers and reasonably powerful at 20W. So if budget is no issue, go get it.

The majority of other SET amps are more modest in power. Your choice of stand-mounters will be limited if you insist on SET amps.

I have a Cobra for my 2nd setup at my workplace. It is excellent if you want to keep your setup simple and save on cabling.

Our musical taste is not dissimilar, I highly recommend you consider the Frenchs, I think no other brands do mid like them.

The newer Triangle Duetto 40th is reasonably priced. I enjoyed auditioning them and they pair well with most amps.

Focal Sopra No 1 is slightly more expensive and has a more refined presentation, but I do think the Triangle is a more fun listen. The Triangle has more drive, essential for classical listening.

Cabasse Baltic, the ones I pair with my Cobra, is incredible and pretty much a swiss army knife speaker, but need to integrate a sub.