It Pegged the Needle on My "BS Meter". Now, I'm A Believer. Ever Happen to You?

Okay, here you are. Feeling pretty good about yourself. Your high end audio knowledge base is extensive. Ears fine-tuned. You can sling words around like "dampening factor", "air gap flux density", and throw in the occasion "dark background" or "micro-dynamic" just to let those around you know you’re not a high performance audio lightweight.

Then, there it is: you are presdented with the utterly ridiculous. After the initial automatically triggered chuckle, the "reasonable" part of your brain assembles a list of the number of reasons why this makes no sense at all. You hit the eject button and move on to more sane topics, like alien shape shifting. But, the topic gets revisited. Most likely an acquaintance or industry associate asks: "Have you tried this?" You put on your best poker face and attempt to keep a friendship intact while explaining in no uncertain terms why they are out of their cotton-pickin’ mind.

After defending your space and putting up your best efforts to not come within 100 meters of this "thing", you give in to the pressure(s) and give it a listen. And then ... "what the heck just happened?!!" You are flabbergasted. Not only did it make an improvement. You have to look at the guys you just labeled as certified lunatics -- and admit they were right.

Ever happen to you?

The first, and most memorial for me .....

Monster Cable CD Sound Rings

The sonics first generation CD players were not, uh, as advertised. They had more grain than a belt sander with 60 grit attached. A bit later Yamaha introduced a new (lower priced) player with "oversampling" that filed the burrs off a bit But, still not even close to an analog experience in my view.

Then the Monster rep showed up and dropped off a little package of CD Sound Rings. Per the rep, these little boogers reduce "jitter" in CDs and make them sound better. I just couldn’t hide the obvious smirk, and "promised" to listen to them. He left. They sit on the desk along with literature, open invoices, and a pretty full todo list. I’m not sure what provided the nudge for me to give them a listen. But, I finally opened the package, stuck one (literally) to a CD, and closed the drawer. Music started playing. It was at that precise moment that CDs became listenable for me. And, opened the window for a lifetime of open-minded, audio experimentation.

Similar experience(s) anyone?

128x128waytoomuchstuff

@freediver you still using a tube buffer?  If so, open to recommendations.  Using a Accuphase integrated, happy but open to ….

thx

@hickamore"With what specific components?"
I started out dipping a toe with a little Chinese Sugden A21(original)clone from Douk Audio that cost $200.00 & a Class A DAC/Headphone/Pre Amp from Burson Audio..
When I was in a position financially I jumped all the way in with a Sugden Class A Power Amplifier(MusicMaster)& a Class A,Non Oversampling Ladder DAC/Headphone/PreAmp from Audio GD(R28 NOS)....
@​​​​​​gemoody:"you still using a tube buffer?"..
Sorry,no..As I stated,I moved from the buffer to all tubes amps,then to Class A Solid State so one wasn’t needed..

A cheap tube buffer I tried years ago amazed me at how recordings began to  sound  alive and lose the synthetic overlay.I was hooked.The vocals especially were to die for on my "starter system".

@judsauce

That just might be the kindest thing anyone has ever said to me. Thank you. My daily search for intelligent life on this planet often begins on this forum. I am rarely disappointed. Just glad my comments make it thought the filters and land somewhere close to the intended target now and then.

@roxy54

It wasn’t long ago that I (re)discovered a forgotten CD with the CD Sound Ring still (somewhat) attached. Back in the day, we found out the hard way that these were not designed for front, slot-loaded CD players. Those players were effective "CD Sound Ring Removal Devices." A mild inconvenience with a home unit with 7 machine screws holding the top cover on to get to the wadded up, sticky Sound Ring. When the player is part of.the factory system in a Lincoln Town Car, disassembling the dash to get to the head unit, was a tad more than a "mind inconvenience".

Yes, there have been many more effective products/devices since the CD Sound Rings.

I recently bought some of that paint that is purported to be the blackest paint in the world. To test it, I painted an older cd that had some scratches on it, put in into the player and not only were the scratches gone, it was easily, and 100% objectively, the quietest cd I've ever played.