Jazz Recommendations

I am just starting to get into Jazz. I recently bought Thelonious Monk Quartet "Live at Monterey" and was blown away. Could you recommend other mainstream Jazz recordings that I should have in a basic collection to help me get started.
kadlec
There are several good books on classic jazz recordings. Check them out at amazon.com or barnes and noble. I like the idea of supporting your local public radio jazz program.
Dave Brubeck's "Time Out" one of the best selling jazz albums in history. It includes Take Five and other jazz standards. You will recognize many of the songs especially Take Five in about five seconds of playing. The current CD release of this 1959 release is HDCD.
Sugarbrie, I'm always on the lookout for (1) good music and (2) the same good music in HDCD. What label is the HDCD release on? Thanks. By the way, I second "Kind of Blue" as another must have.
My opinion: George Duke After Hour/Is Love Enough/Illusions Shadowfax,Steps Ahead,Weather Report,Mahavishnu Orchestra,Patricia Barber,Zawinal Syndicate,for starters.
Try these to start with ---> Bill Evans Trio : Walz for Debbie; Keith Jarrett : Tokyo '96; Cassandra Wilson : New Moon Daughter; Charlie Haden & Pat Metheny: Beyond the Missouri Sky; Charles Lloyd : The Water is Wide.