KEF 2005.2 + Harman Kardon 135?

I recently purchased a set of 5.1 KEF 2005.2 speakers, and my dealer suggested matching them with a Harmon Kardon 135 receiver. I've hooked everything up, and I'm a little concerned that that receiver isn't pumping enough juice to the speakers, as it's only 45 watts per channel and I've read the KEFs require a lot of power.

I know HK pushes a lot of current despite the wattage rating, but can anyone who knows these speakers offer somce sage advice? And if I need to switch up, what would be a better receiver for ~$500?

Thanks--
Jeremy
unsulliedea32
Jeremy:

I didn't even know that there was a HK 135. In any event, you may find interesting is that the HT receiver that HK is pushing hard this year is its HK 330. That receiver is quite a step-up from the HK130 and offers many of the features that the HK630 (excellent review in Perfect Vision) has.

At the $500 price point, the Denon 1705 and1905 have received excellent reviews from the British press for both movies and music. Sean, one of the best known Audiogon personalities, feels that the preferred mass market HT receiver manufacturers right now are Denon, Onkyo, and Panasonic (I believe I got that right), With that said, on the discontinued product front (product life cycle being 9 months these days) is the Onkyo 601 . An exceptional $500 receiver that J&R Music has for $300 new.

I didn't think that the KEF "eggs" were that power hungry, especially if you will be using them with a sub-woofer.

Regards, Rich
Thank you for the input. I'll take a look at the HK 330 (actually, looks like there's a 335 too) when they get it into the showroom. The mic-assisted automatic level setting tech looks pretty sweet.

Jeremy
I have a pair of eggs which I've been breaking in - they are loud enough for me with a 50wpc SS amp and I think they'd get plenty louder if I turn it up. I believe they arerated at 88db/w/m, which is average or so. I noticed they were what I'd term very recessed till run staright for about 3 days. Hope this helps.
"Jeremy":

To counter "Rich's" statement saying that he didn't know "there was a H/K 135", and after checking "H/K's" website, it was comfirmed that there is in fact an H/K 135.

But now, to answer your question concerning the use of a H/K 135 with a KEF KHT2005.2, I personally don't see anything wrong with using an H/K 135 with a KEF KHT2005.2 Speaker System. By these speakers being small to begin with, they're not going to need buckets of power to get them going. So, I think you're going to be fine using a KEF KHT2005.2 Setup with an H/K 135 Audio/Video Receiver. I also am using a KEF KHT2005.2 Speaker System, but I am using mine with an H/K 430, and doing so with very good results indeed. So, you're not going to have a problem at all (unless of course you're going to be playing action movie soundtracks at THX volume levels in a big room...... in which case, then you need to rethink your scheme of things).

Being that this speaker system comes with a subwoofer, and that the subwoofer comes with its own amplifier, all you have to do is directly plug the subwoofer to the subwoofer output of the H/K, set your crossover frequencies, and you're set.

--Charles--