Klipsch Cornwall IV

Hello all,

I'm interested in what people who have heard the speaker feel about it. I currently run spatial M3 turbos and have an all tube analog setup ( line magnetic, hagerman ) with an oppo 105 being the digital front end.

Previous speakers have been acoustic zen, reference 3A, Maggie 3.6, and triangles. I am more concerned with a huge immersive sound stage than I am with pinpoint imagery. I have a big room and have plenty of space between the back wall and my speakers if I need it.

Any thoughts?
128x128simao
The Cornwall was a very fun speaker to spend 2 1/2 months with. A great design and will really keep me engaged with horn speakers in the future. At the end of the day I missed the refinement and clarity of my audiophile ways too much. I was hoping to pull away from such shenanigans but I enjoy chase. For what it’s worth I would buy these again before other speakers I’ve owned including the O/93’s. Very fun.
I can’t seem to stray too far from Verity speakers and I’m back again. Thanks to all the members in this thread that shared great stories and advice and passions for these great speakers.
Well bjesien it sounds like you need both!
For me I always need options.  I don’t always want to hear the same speakers, amps, or sources.  My alternates to the Cornwall 4’s are Dynaudio Heritage Specials, which I also appreciate very much!  They do require different amplification.  While any amps that work on the Heritage Special’s work well with the Cornwalls, not all amps that work well with Cornwall’s, work well with Heritage Specials.
That said, the Cornwall’s are my daily drivers.
Are others also swapping in other speakers occasionally?

Very true. Getting out to hear the Fynes soon, have an interest in the Tannoy Arden, Coherent, and the new Soul looks fun too. Never a dull moment. Well, hopefully not!
Are others also swapping in other speakers occasionally?

For sure. My primary speakers for the past decade have been PMC Ib2i on customer Sound Anchors, modded with Furutech binding posts. I drive them with a couple of different high-watt Class A solid state amps, a couple of preamps, a few different phono stages. I bought the CW4 as a low-watt alternative (although they sound pretty good with high-watt Class A, too) so I can use SETs and other little amps.

Both CWs and PMCs are on Herbie’s Giant Gliders so I can easily slide either one into a nearby closet, plop in a different amp, and listen to a vastly different approach to sound with no falloff in enjoyment. Takes all of 5 minutes. I love the flexibility.
I agree that maybe a separate thread is required for some of the sub-subjects discussed here. 

@dbarger, I very much understand where you are coming from. You make good points about resale and the speaker being great as is.  

I would, however, note a few things about my perspective. 

First, having heard Volti loudspeakers I think the Cornwall IVs are not as good stock as some Volti models, yet they can and should be.  But, I didn't want to spend $10k on Volti units.  

Second, it is utterly apparent from opening up the CW IV that some of the build leaves stuff to be desired.   That 2 x 4 used as bracing, the wonky binding posts, the lack of internal damping,  the hanging foam insulation that appears to be kind of intentional and kind of sloppy, and so on.  

Third, I think a lot of folks' views on capacitor upgrades are influenced by the soldering element.  It seems scary to be welding on new audio gear.  It is important, though, to me to remember that such modification doesn't change the circuit in the crossover network at all.  Instead, better capacitors and resistors are allowing better signal to pass.  I, subjectively, find capacitors to have just as much if not more potential to influence sonics than power cords, cables, tube rolling, and so on--at least when we look at the cost of these things.  And, all these mods are reversible--easily.  

I also think it's important to look at the context of all of this.  My impetus for modifying the Klipsch CW IV was not to change it and it wasn't motivated by me wanting a different speaker.  To the contrary--- I had a keen sense that this speaker could be spectacular.  There's no question that Klipsch built these to a price point. Why?  Everything is built to a price point.  It's the nature manufacturing.  

So I look at this speaker as sort of like a car made by an American manufacturer.  Sometimes they build stuff to state of the art but most times they do not.  If we talk to people who run audio manufacturing or custom build businesses many say (e.g. Atmasphere or Don Sachs) that parts like VCap capacitors are truly better and special.  

Finally, you are totally right--folks should not run from CW IVs because a couple of people modified them to subjectively better heights, and talk about it on a forum.  They are wonderful speakers in their own right.  I never modify something that I dislike, just as some wouldn't buy a $1k, $5k cord or cable for a piece of gear they do not like.  I modify something where my sense is it can be made substantially better without jeopardizing the integrity of the piece.  

If someone is out there considering the CW IV, do it.  They are wonderful stock.  They DO NOT NEED to be upgraded, modified, or changed in anyway to experience wonderful sonics.