Line fault at the outlet -- do I need an electrician?

Yesterday, I got a Panamax, Max 1500 surge protector and line conditioner. (I got a very good deal on it, and am just trying it out.)

I plugged it into an outlet I've been using for a while and one of the red lights on the front lit up saying "line fault." (I'm not sure how this is different from a "ground fault." Maybe it's the same.) The Panamax does not do this with other outlets in the room. They seem ok.

So, I know this means that the outlet is improperly wired. My question is, might this be a simple thing to check and/or fix? Any suggestions most appreciated. It's the only outlet I can use to have my audio set up where I usually have it. Now is not an optimal time to call an electrician. If this is a big problem, I'll try out my gear somewhere else in the room, but if I can fix this without too much expertise, that would be ideal.
128x128hilde45
No, it's not GFCI, just an outlet run down from another one in the room.

I could get a tester if that could tell me that what is wrong is something I could fix myself (assume I have no knowledge, except to turn off the breakers). The Panamax is already showing that it's reading below 115 v and has a fault of some kind.
It usually means the receptacle is wired wrong or wire is loose  or is bad.
Post removed 
Yes, likely receptacle is wired in reverse polarity. Turn off breaker, dislodge receptacle, check it out. The plug in testers are nice. You might want to test other outlets in your home.