Looking for the next level in imaging...

I enjoy my system every time I sit down and listen. But as we all do, we get the itch to seek improvement!  I am intrigued by Omnidirectional speakers such as MBL’s, German Physiks etc. and breaking free from the head in a vice sweet spot to get better imaging throughout the room and better the imaging in the sweet spot!  I believe changing the speaker will deliver on this quest!  What speakers would you look at? Or would changing a component yield the result? Has anyone gone from the traditional dispersion speaker to an omnidirectional?

current speakers are Martin Logan Ethos

budget $20-30K...could stretch if something is exceptional

polkalover

@toddalin 

I think I understand your point now. I doesn’t matter if the lead guitar is on the left or right it is the fact you can hear different instruments in their own space? This is how most all the music I listen to sounds like. It’s nice that everything isn’t jumbled together in a big wall of sound. I can enjoy how each instrument sounds individually. Happy listening. 

Ron 

My system also does all that.  Steely Dan is a favorite for imaging and a wide soundstage.  The instruments and sound effects are floor to ceiling and wall to wall.  With many recordings of bigger bands, it's very clear how one horn is in the back row compared to another.  It's there in the recording and most any decent stereo will give you a good sense of stage image.  My contention remains, it is in the recording, NOT in the system or room treatment.  Those can only improve what is on the recording, but not create what isn't there.  

Can’t create what is not there, but what if it’s there and your system can’t re-create it?  You wouldn't know that it's there when it is.

First i dont like albums too much mixed in studio...😊 I listen classical and jazz...

Second you got it wrong right here : the room acoustics and your acoustic room/ears parameters will translate the sound imaging and soundstage recorded by the recording engineer set of trade-off choices for you in a wrong or in a good way... The recording so good it is will be acoustically deformed or well rendered, but  it is all related to your speakers/room content /listener position  and the right balance between absorption/reflection/diffusion...( the bass problem must also be solved ) ...

Most people dont even know that because their system/room is so mediocre that the soundfield is almost captive of the speakers plane ...😊

But the acoustic information must be in the recording to begin with , here you are right. But you lost it when you forgot that the acoustic coupling parameters of the speaker /room must be tuned to gave to us ALL acoustic information in the recording to begin with...

A good dac cannot replace speakers"room acoustics. Even the powerful Choueiri dac will not do it but will help you to do the speakers/room right ...

@mahgister Please answer this simple question. A recording of a trio. Guitar, Bass and Sax. The recording engineer has mixed the final tape to have all three mics/instruments playing an equal signal from left and right channel. This puts the sound of the recording with all three instruments in the center of the stage. Are you claiming there is any stereo equipment or room treatment, or combination of each that will produce a playback in my listening room where the three instruments are spread out across the room, and for good measure, the sax is in the center and five feet in front of the guitar and bass? That is what I called into question with the statement, if it’s not on the recording, it’s not in your listening room. Cheers.

It is common place fact that you cannot create inexistent acoustic information which is not already recorded but a bad room will impede and/or deform this acoustic information ...

My contention remains, it is in the recording, NOT in the system or room treatment. Those can only improve what is on the recording, but not create what isn’t there.

the problem is that the speakers/room content/ears is the main factor in the translation of the recorded acoustic information through your your room/system acoustic parameters ...The dac price matter but is secondary compared to the acoustics parameters... That is my point ...Most people think that the dac will do miracle....What they call the recording is the bits in the dacs...What i call the recording is the acoustic trade off choices chosen by recording engineer ( or the mixer)

A common place evident fact do not replace acoustics.. 😊

And in any stereo system even in top acoustic room there is some spatial acoustic information that cannot be translated acoustically right. It is why the Choueiri filters are more than a tweak or a gimmick. It is acoustics science fact...

But it is evident that the information must be in the recording AS ACOUSTICS INFORMATION recorded by the engineer... Nobody can dispute that ...

Reading your post i know that you know what i spoke about. Then i apologize because  i commented one line of your post out of context ...