Magico speakers too clinical and fatiguing?

A while back I was very enthusiastic about these speakers. They look nice and supposedly supposed to sound very nice. I’ve heard them a few times and the level of precision and accuracy is very good. But is there too much science going on to create the speakers that makes them at times a little uncomfortable to listen to for more than a few minutes.

Are modern age speakers going nuts with all the science?

emergingsoul

I just installed a DEQX Pre 8 in a system based on Magico S7 loudspeakers. First off, they are extraordinarily well made. To start, they were being driven by  McIntosh gear. The image was diffuse and details smoothed over in typical McIntosh fashion. There were two JL Audio Fathom subs using a low pass filter only and the bass was confused. The room is a dedicated media room 20 X 30 feet with a 9 foot ceiling. After replacing the mac preamp with the DEQX the image snapped into focus and details were audible that were glossed over before. Adjusting the treble down a bit gave a neutral sound without any sibilance. The bass now managed by the DEQX was eons better but still lacking in the utmost definition, the fault lies with the Fathoms. We are going to replace the Mac amps with a pair of Bricasti Design M28s and I am sure that will bring this system up into the upper echelons of performance with the exception of the bass below 50 Hz. We have not discussed new subs yet, I would like to see four Martin Logan BF 212s. 

In short, The S7s are a fine speaker and a reasonable value given that you can spend a lot more for the same performance. As you see here they can be no better than the equipment in front of them. This is true of any great loudspeaker.  

(Emergingsoul)

I am just using the stock McIntosh  tubes in my MC2301 amps and they should have a lot of life left.

They sound fine to me and I believe they may be greatly improved upon but I’m on thin ice for spending what I have on everything already. 🥴

No tube swapping for right now with (16) power tubes to buy.

The Magico are not able to be BiAmped and the Tannoy can be BiAmped.

I found it a huge improvement on the Tannoy to get  rid of the speaker jumper cable and feeding upper end with tubes and bottom end with SS.

Found the jumper wire was a huge detractor of capability.

"I think Magicos are great outdoor speakers because they don't warp or rust."

LOL!

cheeky

A few days ago I took the opportunity to listen to a dSC > Burmester (hybrid) > Magico S system, and it was exceptionally good.  Musical, and not fatiguing - among the very best digital SQ I have ever heard.  I tend to listen to vinyl, and this system sounded that good...

So I agree with the earlier comments stating that the Magico speakers are accurate and extremely revealing (compare to many other brands of speakers), so your font-end needs to be up to the task. 

You will hear it all, the good and the bad.  Isn't that what generations of audiophiles have been asking for from manufacturers?