McCormack SMC Audio upgrades: how good are they?

Does anyone know, or can tell me, how good the McCormack stuff sounds when upgraded by SMC audio? I was trying to determine whether to keep my DNA-125 Gold revision, or to go to a higher-end SS or tube amp. Budget would be $3k for an amp, or $4k for an integrated, both used. Has anyone had or heard a DNA-125 or 225 Gold and compared it to other amps? The stock amps sound a lot worse than the Gold revision (it costs $1700 for the upgrades), and I have never seen one used on here, which probably tells me something right there. Still.....

I can't listen to any high-end pieces around here, and have the upgrade bug again, but it may be unjustified at this point. Are there better units available at that price? Preamp TBD as well, but looking to spend $2k. Currently using a Dehavilland in my system. The problem with audio is that it seems that there is always something a little better lurking around the corner....
chiho
Thanks for the responses. Having not been able to hear other amps, I do have to say that my system sounds very good right now, but without anything to compare to, who knows how good it can sound? I don't get to listen to a ton of high-end gear, and even more rarely in my system.

Steve, thanks for the note regarding acoustical treatments. I am also planning on spending money there, probably before changing electronics. I recently heard a heavily ASC-treated room, and the soundstage and low-end was something to behold. Sure, nice gears, but the acoustical treatments made the system, no doubt about it. I probably only have around $500 worth of acoustical treatments in my room, but that was probably the second-best $500 I have spent in my system (best $500 was initially getting gear to listen to!) I am sure spending more $ for corner panels and tube traps would get me even closer to what I am looking for. You are right about the amp: very transparent, easy to listen to, but boy do the details come out in spades.

Regarding the poster w/the Herrron/McCormack comparison: a difference in current may have made a difference there. From what I remember, the Herron amps pull a lot more current than the DNA-125. They are more in line with a 225.
Given where you're at with your amp, I'd personally have Steve take it to Platinum status. But that's just me.
Nrenter,

What would be the sonic difference between Gold and Platinum? Better dynamics, I assume? My speakers are nominal 4-ohm, so I could probably use the current increase with the better transformer. Do they also replace the wiring? Some of the stock wiring to the stock transformer looks pretty cheap.
Slightly different amp (DNA-1); but sent to Steve for Gold + revision. Quite pleased with results: I cannot tell you without looking further exactly what was changed out, but deeper, fuller bass, better soundstage, more holographic presentation. It just sound like a more heavy weight amplifier, wihout fatigue or tinniness that I've heard in some SS of the same ilk. I'm sure there are better amps to your and my ear out there; but I would have to reccomend this upgrade. I use an Art Audio (Gill) tube preamp with good synergy; good cables help significantly. farmdoc
I think Steve's answer speaks volumes as to his long term commitment to the hobby and his customers. The Gold+ and Platinum upgrades are very good indeed and you have among the best support in the industry, but as far as whether you will like the Platinum upgrade, who knows. If you post more system details, that would help. BTW, with transparent amp and resolving speakers, IMO, pre-amp has a dramatic impact on overall system sound.