Music first or sound first?

I just thought it might be interesting to take a poll of those that put sound first and those that claim they put music first in listening to their rigs.

128x128rvpiano

I know many listeners who do not care much about the music, but do care about the reproduction of the music. This to me, is sad. Maybe I place music 1st because I was a singer in a choral group and a local band in my youth. I also took music classes in school, and both of those taught me the appreciation of music. I can enjoy the music on my patio outdoor speakers mounted under the eve, and a blue tooth speaker on a blanket at the beach. If you are not receiving an emotional connection with the message of the performances ( the music ), then, you are putting the sound, and the equipment,1st. Lying to oneself is ok with me, but I cannot live without listening to music....anywhere. I believe someone here mentioned listening to Sticky Fingers, and mentioned some songs " sounded " much better than others. I agree, but the " performances " by the Stone’s members, is what I listen for. After all, this is a " recording " that I am listening to, and if I am in the mood to hear Sticky Fingers, it is the singing of Mick Jagger, the mighty fine guitar playing of Mick Taylor ( 2 Micks ) and Keith Richards, the rhythm playing of Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman, and lest not forget the other musicians here, including Bobby Keys, Billy Preston, and a few other incredible musicians. The music is the connection for me. My rig.....allows me to hear more of it. And, feel it ! Better sound reproduction = I hear more of it. My best, MrD.

Music first.

I did read all the posts...some thoughtful, insightful and honest commentary.

I recall hearing Nat King Cole’s voice at around 5 years old and associate that with my Dad’s reel-to-reel that was in a small suitcase.

I bought my first "hi-fi" from the Sear’s catalogue with lawn mowing money when I was 9 or 10. $129.77 cents. I pretended to be sick so I could stay home from school the day it was due to be delivered.

I helped my Dad pick out a JVC separates system that cost $1,270 in time for Xmas when I was around 12. The first records played on it were Rumors, Band on the Run, Toys in the Attic, Animals, Time Out, Don’t Shoot me I’m only the Piano Player, and some Oscar and Ella records.

Today we travel with a B&O A1.

I started the audiophile journey Xmas 2018 when my wife bought me a $100 BT record player to connect with our 5.1 AV system. I played the DSOTM album that came with the gift once, and had to tell her it would ruin the record, so I sent it back and bought a Pro-Ject carbon debut. It also sucked so I kept going.

5 years later...I still enjoy the music first but when I sit down for a dedicated listening session, the recording matters...a lot; and that’s when the system takes over, and it’s pretty awesome.

Something to consider… if it weren’t for the music, we wouldn’t even be having this discussion. The music came first.