Music first or sound first?

I just thought it might be interesting to take a poll of those that put sound first and those that claim they put music first in listening to their rigs.

128x128rvpiano

my daughter would listen to music on her iphone. All the time. One day I had enough, I had to set her up with a decent beginner/vintage system. She hasn't turned on the iPhone since, other than to stream.  

It's always the "sound" to start, but it doesn't last long.

Then the "music" takes over and I am lost.

I started out listening to the sound until I got my system where I wanted it. Now it’s all about the music.

It's always the "sound" to start, but it doesn't last long.

I started out listening to the sound until I got my system where I wanted it.

These are some of the honest feedback. I am in the same boat.

I think that many  audiophiles feel that they will be looked down upon, if they claim that they are moved by sound rather than music. It's almost like "audiophile" is a derogatory term and "music enthusiast" is the acceptable norm. And yet we try to make our sound/music as close as possible to reality. Strangely 1% or less of the entire human population are the people who care for their music to be reproduced as accurately as possible, trying to get the best (within budget) DAC, amp, loudspeakers, etc.

I play music that is stuff I want to hear. My system still surprises me how good it sounds, but it is music that is the purpose of the system.  

I  have a number of piano roll recordings done by Saint-Seans, Ravel, Debussy, etc, and while I marvel at their playing, it's a real treat to hear it sound so good.  My system excels on voices and acoustic piano.  It is fully capable of presenting anything I want to hear, at whatever level I want, in a very large room.  The sound is a pleasure, but it is always in service to the music.