NAD C399 connected to the Nalai Hypex 500 Monoblocks as a preamp.

Hello Guru's,

Need some help with specs to make sure these two are compatible. NAD SPECS:

PREAMPLIFIER SECTION LINE INPUT, PRE-OUT (Analog bypass on) THD (20 Hz – 20 kHz) 106 dB (IHF; A-weighted, ref. 500 mV out, unity gain) Channel separation >100 dB (1 kHz) >90 dB (10 kHz) Input impedance (R and C) 56 kohms + 100 pF Maximum input signal >4.6 Vrms (ref. 0.1 % THD) Output impedance Source Z + 320 ohms Input sensitivity 65 mV (ref. 500 mV out, Volume maximum) Frequency response ±0.3 dB (20 Hz - 20 kHz) Maximum voltage output -IHF load >5 V (ref. 0.1 % THD

NILAI SPECS

Specifications

• THD+N:  0.00015% (-116 dB) @ 100W / 4Ω / 20 – 20.000 Hz
  • 260W  @ 8Ω, 1 kHz, THD < 1%
  • 525W  @ 4Ω, 1 kHz, THD < 1%
  • 500W @ 2Ω, 1 kHz, THD < 1%
  • Frequency response:  0-70 kHz
  • Output noise:  9.5µV @ 11.8 dB gain
  • Gain adjust in three steps:  11.8 dB, 21.8 dB and 27.8 dB
  • Signal to Noise:  134 dB
  • Input Impedance: 47 kΩ
  • Idle power:  14 W typical 

Thanks,

Anthony

128x128antho768

Based on the specs, I don't see any mismatch. The preamp output to power amplifier input impedance ratio is greater than 10:1, and the preamp has sufficient gain to drive the power amplifier to its full power rating except at the lowest gain setting (11.8 dB).

Specs seem fine.  The key question is if the sound characteristics of the NAD synergize well with the amp for your particular tastes/preferences and within the context of your system.

The key question is if the sound characteristics of the NAD synergize well with the amp for your particular tastes/preferences and within the context of your system.

I don't think anyone but the OP himself can give any meaningful answer to this question!🙄

I don't think anyone but the OP himself can give any meaningful answer to this question!

@imhififan Of course that’s up to the OP.  That should be understood.

I appreciate your feedback, Only time will tell. I originally wanted to get my hands on the NAD M 33, but at  $3000 difference in price, it seems like a hell of a bargain. I will be getting the monos in on Friday.  I wanted the power of the M33, at least I hope so, combined with the BluOS, Dirac and other goodies of the NAD 399.  

Thanks gentlemen!