Naim?

I’ve never heard a Naim amp but would like to. The 500DR amp is only 140 watts a channel and costs 35k!! Also it only weighs 50lbs? What the hell could be in this thing that would make it worth a quarter of that? Also they pride themselves on using what sounds good not what’s necessarily expensive. No fancy casework no bling. So I don’t think there is anything special in there component wise, I could be wrong. This thing costs 700 bucks a lb?? Don’t hear much about naim separates on here what ye all say??

mofojo

Oh I’m sure there are 35k amps that are worth it for some people. I’m just saying just seeing the specs and such of the Naim products I don’t see the value and am curious. Sounds like dalims4 was not too impressed. Ive seen a lot of pricey amps but they weigh 100 lbs plus and look like jewelry. 

supernait 3 for example. It’s 80 watts. They say well it’s like no other 80 watts you ever heard blah blah. Even talk about they don’t like the 1% resistors they like the 5% but say they match them in house.
Well it’s still 80 watts and it’s a 24lb integrated. Maybe it’s absolutely fanFingtastic? I don’t know but it’s intriguing to me. 

Post removed 

What’s in the rest of your system ? i have three NAIM components, 2X Unitiserve both w affordable and excellent Pardo LPS. Back in the day you would be hard pressed to buy a better sounding server, it has since been displaced ..but not for less money. I also have the Uniti Atom which includes preamp /streamer / 40 wpc LiL mulekicker of a power amp. A great all in one sans phono preamp. Atom is about $3,500. I have heard the higher end seperates and frankly don’t see value unless you are a NAIM fanatic including the old skool speakers. My liquid cooled made in USA monoblocks are a mere $208 per pound…..

Jim

Damned double posts…

I listened to one a few months ago powering some 27 k$ focals.
It sounded good,

A week later I head some 3-4 k$ speakers powered by a SOTA class-D ~2k$ amp and it sounded about the same.

I suppose it is, “A rose by any other Naim”.

They are pretty popular in the UK I believe. And I am not really a Linn fan or UK sound fan.

In the past I have tried Naim Unitiqute, Naim Uniti Atom, and two years ago I bought a Naim Supernait 3 (all were bought used). The whole PRAT thing never did a thing for me. In all cases, the amps did not last more than a few months in my system. At least in my system, the sound lacked 'body'. Midrange was kinda thin sounding compared to other amps I have owned.