New Oppo BDP-95 better than the McIntosh MVP-881?

For the money, the 29 lb. McIntosh MVP-881 Universal Blu Ray player is one of the biggest rip offs in Blu Ray DVD history.
Looking inside the unit reveals not much under the hood for
$ 8K. The power supply is skimpy and it has three cooling
fans. One on the bottom, one on the rear, and one on the inside. Very, very hot! What I call Scrooge engineering.
The Mac uses the Sabre32 ESS9016 24x Dacs. Five total. The new Oppo BDP-95 coming out in February uses the Sabre32 ESS9018's 32x Dacs. Two total with a beefy power supply, selling for $ 1K. I hope the Oppo knocks the hell out of the McIntosh, Marantz, Denon, Ayre, and Lexicon Universal players selling between $4 and $10K. For McIntosh to put out a player that is hotter than any other high end player
on the market, is a sign that their engineering has gone down hill and their glory days are over.
audiozen
There are a BUNCH of hi-end (over-priced) players that are gonna have their heads handed to them once Oppo releases this product. I know I am wildly happy with my BDP-93 and it is gonna be one heckuva a great bedroom system player once the 95 arrives on my doorstep...

-RW-
I could not be happier with the BDP-93. It offers quite an improvement both with the image quality & smooth operation over the still fine performing BDP-83.
Oppo eats the lunch of all others, so wait for the 95. Often forgotten is that oppo will play SACD. Why oppo can continue to market players at 20% of the cost of the hi end should tell you the business model of the hi-end is a rip off.
Not all high end is a rip off. Most of it is. Unfortunately we are seeing more of the rip off than we have in the past. I think there are companies that build real high quality equipment at many different price ranges. I happend to own a lot of Pass Labs equipment it is not the most affordable equipment but it built extemely well and sounds exceptionally good and they stand behind their product. I do have some experience with the Oppo 83SE and I think it is an exceptional DVD Player. The Oppo out performed a very expensive Krell dvd player in my system. It is just wise to listen watch and evaluate make a decision on it perfomance regardless of price. Be objective, but do not buy what cannot afford.
Personally I love watching the "high-end" manufacturers try to pass off their equipment as state of the art. Some went into the professional home theater installation game, following the stereo stores that were struggling to survive. That is the only way they can still get the high dollar. Most went belly up or were absorbed by the conglomerate electronics behemoths. We are lucky to still have small personal manufacturers such as Van Alstine and Monarchy and many more, who are dedicated, have small efficient operations and produce great products. Firms like Oppo will be wildly successful because they are ahead of the game and are constantly striving to stay there. I am amused to see the big companies' with the lids off their equipment and shown on the net to be Oppo's equipment inside. They won't last long if they continue to deceive the buying public. Long live Oppo!