New Speakers under consideration - but I’m afraid

I really like my speakers but I am considering an upgrade. I have B&W 801 S2 MkIII that I bought new in 1999 (re-coned with modded x-over). I’m afraid that what I get will not equal them and new may  just be different.

They are bi-amped with McIntosh up top and Krell on the bottom. Analog is Revox B77 and dig is Oppo 105D with Bryston DAC3.

I will also likely upgrade the DAC but this thread is about speakers.

I need a dynamic loudspeaker that is as good with chamber music as it is with acoustic jazz, rock and electronic music (everything but Country and Rap).

I haven’t heard anything yet but am considering Borrersen X3, Wilson Sasha and B&W 803 D4.

Should I be afraid or will these speakers all best a 25 yr old design?

ritter06

Yes I understand your concerns which are all very valid, but changing speakers is always a challenge and more so if a home demonstration is not possible.

But, nothing venture nothing gain.

Audio shows have their limitations in assessing different speakers for all sorts of well known reasons. Finding ones that have the right synergy with your existing system is also a key consideration.

I am on my third pair of YG speakers, namely Hailey Reference 2.2 , which I consider to be outstanding but well above your price range. A used pair of Carmels could be an option if you like their sound.

I was attracted to YG by a review of the Carmel 1s a long time ago  and I paid my first visit to Munich specifically to hear them. The room YG had for that show was excellent and their sound confirmed what I had read.

In my experience audio components all have  distinct characteristics  to their sound and all my three pairs of YGs have reproduced and brought out their differences and nuances because of their inherent and first class neutrality.

Going to one of the shows mentioned should give you an opportunity to assess different options and find some that appeal to you. Careful reading of review, ie reading between the lines, can often provide the additional insights to supplement your show listening experiences.

In my experience it is a journey worth making as long as you do your homework and take your time. It is one that can bring significant rewards

If I were in your shoes, I would be looking at pre-owned (5-10 years old). You can still make a big jump with technology and get a great used speaker in the $15-$25k range that once retailed for $40-$50k. Magico, Focal, Rockport, YG, etc. Take your time, read the forums and reviews.

+1  for Rockports. I had the (daughter won't let me sell them) B and W 801 Matrix anniversary model powered by a Krell KSA 150 for 30 years. I then moved to  Wilson Sasha 2s, but could never get them to a sound I could live with. I now have Rockports and I love them. The sound is very balanced and musical. They also continue to resolve at greater and greater levels as I improve how they are fed. I am not motivated to replace them.

when recommendations become this specific, it gets confusing. It's "I have X, I love X, you should buy X" territory which is not a useful context the OP can rely on.  

But what do I know, I have never owned a 3K+ speaker, cancel me smiley