Norah Jones on Bluenote??

Is nothing sacred?.......What's next......Courtney Love at Carnegie Hall?......Pavarotti Sings The Monkees Songbook?.....
dynaco_hum
I'm really catching it for this one, but look at this objectively. More people listen to Norah Jones than Hank Mobey. And guess what--even more people listen to Eminem. To me, it's not a question of popularity--or selling out (which seems to be implied). It's a matter of economics. Blue Note needs revenues to continue their quest, and they will for one sell many Norah Jones albums but I think more importantly--and hopefully, turn a few new customers their way to explore some of the jazz Blue Note has to offer.

Some of the arguments here seem to me on the order of: "No, please don't let any pop lovers discover MY jazz--it's too precious to share." I disagree, and believe that creating new avenues to that exploration such as Norah Jones is a good idea. Just my 2 cents in an area that I am certainly no expert.
I don't see how Norah Jones (as unremarkable as she is) affects the music of other jazz artists. The only thing that conceivably COULD happen is that the accountants start looking at the bottom line and start dumping less profitable artists. Now THAT would be criminal. Hank Mobley is Hank Mobley, and no amount of Norah releases from Blue Note will dilute him...or Kenny Dorham... or anyone else.

Now, that being said, I must say that the lineup at the Blue Note clubs is beginning to look decidedly mainstream, esp. on weekends, as is the whole Blue Note experience.
The new Van Morrison is also on Blue Note. I like Van and I'm glad Blue Note is able to pick up some more varied talent. It brings more money to Blue Note which allows them to do even more than they are now.

I don't think of Van Morrison as your typical Blue Note artist, but the colaboration is good for both of them. I wish all of my favorite artists would record on a better label. Blue Note does a great job. They take the time to put out quality recordings. Who wouldn't want better quality recordings? It might push mainstream labels to do a better job to retain artists like Norah Jones and Van Morrison, each of which sell LOTS of albums.
I read the initial post in this thread and a veritable host of thoughts came to me. Then I read the entire thread and discovered that Rives had stolen all of my "thunder". Thanks for saving me some time, Rives! :-)