Older Power Cables

In my current system, I have three older moderately expensive power cables: 2 from PS Audio purchased about 24 years ago for $600 used and one MIT Zip Cord II purchased new. I was just wondering what will differences will I likely  be able to "hear" by replacing them with some of the newer power cords that is currently being market. 

joscow

@joscow - As mentioned above there have been significant improvements

1. metalurgy - e.g. UP-OCC copper - that improve details and dynamics
  2. Insulations - low dielectric constant insulations that improve clarity
  3. Cable Geometry - lowers noise floor and improves clarity and image

Take a look at Audio Envy or Zavfino - both reat cables

Regards - Steve

@classicrockfan - I was agnostic about power cables before I actually did some experimentation. My point of view was “I don’t know enough about the science to have a strong pov on whether different power cables would make a difference.” 

Now that I’ve experimented with a few quality cables, I believe they make a difference. That said, your system has to be resolving enough to hear what higher quality cables can make… 

I think the cables that have made the most difference would be Kimber Kable Palladian PK10 and Cardas Clear Beyond XL. I bought them used… could not afford them new! 

It isn't uncommon for folks who are enjoying nice rigs to stay clear of the power cable upgrade black hole. My Audiolab CDT6000 (CD transport) had a stock power cord supplied with unit. On a whim, I ordered a Pangea power cord from Audio Advisors thinking I was wasting everyone's time since I planned on returning it and report "snake oil" alert post. Now look....I purposely bought the cheapest upgrade from the stock one they included with unit. I paid $39.95 for a demo .6 meter power cord. I hate to have to say this but resolution and bass depth is CLEARLY improved! The stock cord was coiled up (a no-no), wrapped in EMF cloth and tucked behind rack. So it did have some disadvantages I admit. BUT for those of us who have tried to resist the "cable wars" (and extra expense) just go crazy and try one in on a key component then come back to tell us "snake oil". I am enjoying a clearer sound for whatever reason. And on the cheap cheap  

It is not uncommon for folks to be put off at the idea of upgrading power cords… even when interconnects proved to impart a significant improvement to the sound. The problem is that very often if you simply make a low ball purchase you will not get an improvement. I have a number of cheap name brand low end (~$100… like Shunyata) that I bought for a work system that had relatively low end components in it. They did nothing. For fun I tried them in my high end main system… and they were no better than the stock power cords. @allears4u you were very lucky.

There is no question that the effect is component / system dependent. However if someone wants to see if they can improve their sound with a power cord they should start with one for the amp and try a cord somewhere in the vicinity of 10% the value of the component. This gives a very high probability of making a significant difference.

High end systems are built component by component, interconnect by interconnect, PC by PC, acoustic treatments, etc. it is all additive. To get the very most out of a carefully assembled system, using all the tools is required. Power cords are definitely one of them.