Payment method required to send messages???

I just received the following notice when trying to respond to a message a member sent to me.  The message was about audio gear and had nothing to do with buying or selling.  Is this a new requirement?  

You must have a verified phone number and payment method to send messages.

mitch2

@dekay 

I just saw your message and replied - twice.  My first reply had the word “phone” which is apparently a faux pas so that one is “under review.”  In order to reply, I  had to log in using the 2FA but then everything worked fine, like always.

mitch2:

Received your "brew" reply (under moderation), but cannot reply to it (verified message again).

Guess "I'm it" for the time being and jea48 is also off the hook.

DeKay

I'm waiting for the time when it becomes obsolete (as all tech things do).

LIke streaming, as I sit and play my CDs.

When I woke up this morning I was logged out of A'Gon (not certain why) and when I attempted to log in I was prompted to enter the "one time code" sent to my phone.

When I cleared my history, I was forced out and had to log back in (never happened before) but no authentication was needed. Just a press of my right index finger on the circle of my Mac (verification key) and I was back in.

My first text I received 11 sets of 6 digit codes. Try entering all of that. I did but it said invalid.

That is mighty suspect. 

I just went and sent a message to a member by looking up his name and right clicking on it and the option to message him. It went successfully without any prompt to verify my phone number or credit card number. 

If I were any members who were asked for verification of that kind, I wouldn't. Something seems to be compromised. I haven't received a reply from the member I contacted yet but so far, I'm way ahead of most members who've had problems.

All the best,
Nonoise

Well I just tried to update my account cell phone number so it would be verified. I got a text. SIX numbers!smiley Only one set of six numbers.

I entered the code numbers and clicked on verify. Cell phone number is verified.smiley

I then went to my message Dashboard page to see if I could send a message reply. NOPE...

You must have a verified phone number and payment method to send messages.

Well I got the phone number verified...

But hey my phone number is now verified and I have one 6 digit code now that works!yes I just hope now I won’t have to use the code when I login tomorrow.

I too received multiple 6-digit codes the first time I responded to the 2FA request (weird!)  and I took a guess and entered the last code in the text, which worked for me.