Phono preamp for a Denon 103R cartridge.

Hi all. After picking up a new cartridge, and moving the upstairs stereo to a different room, I began to think about where to take the next step with that system. I'm not going to digitize my vinyl. I am just going to savor it, without collecting too many more LPs. Theoretically. But I'd like to best the ProJect DS2 Phono Box USB, if possible. For under $1500, with lower being favored rather "stretching" for an $1800 item. I just don't think my collection or systems warrant such a leap.

The table is a Denon DP 3000NE. The preamp is a Pass X2.5, and I'll use the low gain setting. I'm mildly interested in a phono pre that has XLR output, but it's not crucial. I'm most interested in what might go well with this cartridge primarily.

This morning I'm leaning toward a JC3 Jr, and on other days I have wondered about a Hagerman, but six tubes will mean spending a bit more. A Sutherland. perhaps? Or something with front panel adjustments?

Thanks for your consideration.

zarf

Michael Fremer is a tough read for me. He's detailed about his combinations and has reviewed a good amount of gear. The inexpensive gear falls short of the mark of the hyper expensive gear, but it's closer than we think, seems to be a consistent theme.

There are several reviews of the JC3 Jr, one by Fremer in 2018. Another JC3 Jr review likened phono preamps to tennis players. Each one slightly better than the last, until you get to Roger Federer. Correlating somewhat with price, was my impression.

Fremer also reviewed my current ProJect model in 2019. Didn't dislike it actively, and used it to offer playable demo files of the DL103R as stock and with an aluminum cover.

I've ordered from Schiit in the past. The Skoll looks very interesting because of the adjustability. On the other hand, I've had to take advantage of their warranty with some of their pieces. I'm not sure that's the road I want to travel again.

You're right, it is an excellent affordable mc cartridge. I'm just curious what phono preamps folks here might have tried with it. Thanks for sharing your DL103R setup.

I have a Sutherland TZ Vibe that I use with a Hana ML moving coil cartridge and it's excellent.  I haven't heard it with your cartridge.  Ron Sutherland is a very nice man if you wanted to visit with him. He has a good return policy if you wanted to try one. Google it and you should find a number of favorable comments.