Phono preamp for a Denon 103R cartridge.

Hi all. After picking up a new cartridge, and moving the upstairs stereo to a different room, I began to think about where to take the next step with that system. I'm not going to digitize my vinyl. I am just going to savor it, without collecting too many more LPs. Theoretically. But I'd like to best the ProJect DS2 Phono Box USB, if possible. For under $1500, with lower being favored rather "stretching" for an $1800 item. I just don't think my collection or systems warrant such a leap.

The table is a Denon DP 3000NE. The preamp is a Pass X2.5, and I'll use the low gain setting. I'm mildly interested in a phono pre that has XLR output, but it's not crucial. I'm most interested in what might go well with this cartridge primarily.

This morning I'm leaning toward a JC3 Jr, and on other days I have wondered about a Hagerman, but six tubes will mean spending a bit more. A Sutherland. perhaps? Or something with front panel adjustments?

Thanks for your consideration.

zarf

Zarf

I have used 103Rs (4 in all) for many years.

During that time I also upgraded to my Phono Preamp to a Zesto Andros 1.2.  It is a very flexible Pre (lots of Ohm settings, even separate L/R grounds) and sounded great with the 103Rs.  

It uses 4 12Ax7 tubes (2 per channel and inexpensive to replace) and to my ear, it out performs SS options. 

Because it is an older model, second-hand units are quite inexpensive on AG and elsewhere.

Lastly, the Owner/Designer, George, still answers the phone himself (I called him to chat about tube rolling).

Good luck,

P.S. I am an end-user and not affiliated with the audio industry

I got a good deal on a Sutherland KC Vibe, and I was blown away at the sound quality I heard for under $700.  I can say the same for the Schiit Mani 2.  I gave my son a Rega P3 I wasn't using to see if they would get into vinyl, and needed an inexpensive phono amp.  I bought the Mani based on my prior experience with Schiit Audio products. Incredible performance for the price.

There's no need to take out a second mortgage to achieve quality sound.  I just laugh when I see people on here debating on gear that cost as much as my pick up truck, bass boat and trailer.  Believe me, the truck, boat, and trailer will get used a lot more and will have much greater resell value.  I love my music and my 60+ year vinyl collection -- but my vintage system sounds fine.

I own a 103R and really liked it with the E.A.T. E-Glo Petit. It has plenty of gain, gives you the ability to roll the 12AX7s, front (actually top) panel controls for easy loading changes, and really quiet.

I've owned a number of under $500 solid state phono preamps, and while they were all competent there was a very audible difference as I moved up the chain.