PS Audio Direct Stream

Has anyone received this unit yet?
And if so please share your review.
128x128ozzy
Sabai,
This new firmware must really quite special, as you were very fond of the NAD M51 DAC.
Charles1dad,

To tell you the truth, right out of the box, with the old firmware in the DS DAC, I could easily have lived with the NAD M51. But with the new firmware in the DS DAC the NAD M51 gets thrown out of the ballpark.
A retailer out our way has a Direct-Stream on their reference system. I have heard one on another system and thought it pretty good - so good there is a GTG in the works to compare it to my favorite DAC called a Killer.

I don't know why but on the retailers system it never grabbed me and a number of other knowledgeable listeners. Some loved it but others - not so impressed.

Well yesterday went down to hear it again. This time much better - what changed - evidently the person that runs the place, who I know very well, built his own music server powered by a linear supply. For some reason that did the trick - before it was sort of tinny, unatural with forced detail. Now it sounds much more real and natural. Still on the detail side of things though rather than musicality.

Anyway thought I would pass it on - other may like to experiment with linear supplies on the source they are using.

Thanks
Bill
Bhobba, Do you know if the retailer installed the latest firmware?
If not, you did not hear it at its finest.
Hi Ozzy

Yes it had the latest firmware etc. It was well run in. The only difference was the server.

But I have to also say that reference system is ultra revealing - its more revealing than my current system which is pretty revealing. I heard the DS, not with the latest upgrades etc on another system and it was much better - although at that time IMHO not really any better than the PW he had before. Since then it improved greatly with run in and firmware upgrades.

With the new server I can affirm its every bit as good as the aficionados say it is - just not my bag - I prefer my DAC's more along the musical side of things. But that's simply personal preference.

Thanks
Bill