Quandary

I’m really happy with my system. However when a technician, who is also a salesman, came to my house for a stereo repair he complimented my set but said it would sound a lot better if I switched out my Benchmark AHB2 amp (which I think is great) for a Pass 30 wpc class AB amp. He offered to let me hear that amp in my system so that I could decide for myself (at a fee of $300.) The only problem is he doesn’t  have the 30 watt amp in stock but would have to demo the Pass sound with 60 watt monoblocks. He assured  me that with my very efficient GoldenEar Triton 1 speakers the 30 watt amp will almost have the the same quality.

Do you think I can honestly judge how the smaller amp will actually sound? Or should I cancel the demonstration (and save$300?)

128x128rvpiano

You are happy with what you have.  His buisness is to get you to buy new equipment.  You weren’t looking to buy a new amp.  If you spend $300 for an audition, your emotions will effect your perceptions-you will want to hear an improvement to justify the expenditure.

Then not being able to actually audition the component itself is the icing on the cake.  Monoblocks at twice the power of the stereo amp he wants to sell you.  From what I’ve read of the Tritons they do better with more power.  The difference between 30 and 60 watts is more meaningful than say, the difference between 150 and 180 watts.

It sounds like he smells blood in the water.  Audiophiles are notoriously gullible, and in view of your 83 years of age he probably figures you are an easier target

I think the Benchmark AHB2 amp is lovely. I agree completely with Mahler123. I would just stick with the Benchmark for all the reasons cited.