Replacing current sub with another

I am in the process in replacing my current sub with something with better control, meaning tuning and integrating. My option would been a SVS SB-1000 pro. Keep in mind I have a very small room and really the Vandersteen 2ci are more then enough for the need of any music. I have a sub not for output but for quality and and response. I have the tools to tune and integrate the sub with the 2ci so that is not a factor. I currently have the HSU STF-2 and is a great sub but it only has the basic controls so I am limited.

Ag insider logo xs@2xhighend64

Thank you all for the responses. I like the idea of using the DSP for correction but I really want a sub with DSP or something more controls. Imo, I want to try avoiding  using something in between the signal path of the main and preamp.

OP: 

I think you are mistaking one thing.  You can use a miniDSP without putting anything between your pre and amp, and I've had excellent results that way.

Best,

Erik

As you own a pair of Vandy’s, why not get a 2wq?

They can be had quite inexpensively, now that the Sub 3 is out, and they will not only mesh nicely with 2ci’s, but will allow your amp to work more easily.

I use the Hsu subs on my office system with a pair of VLR’s, and their integration isn’t not as seamless as my main system -with Treo’s and Sub 3’s (I owned the 2wq’s prior), with either sub, the Vandy’s were a superior match.

Using DSP, has the issue of introducing time and phase distortions, which is something the Vandersteen speakers are built to mitigate.

Bob