Setting Anti-Skate on VPI Fatboy Tonearm

Greetings Everyone!

I have a VPI Classic 4 turntable and just replaced the 12" 3D unipivot tonearm with a 12" Fatboy gimbaled.  Unfortunately, I have never been very comfortable with the anti-skate adjustment on these tonearms.  I use the HiFi News test record but always hear a buzz in the right channel at the 16 dB level and above on the 300 Hz test tracks.  The whole wire twisting thing is an utter joke, and the fishing string mechanical do-hickey does not provide a consistent anti-skate force across the record.  I'm sure I must not be using it correctly, and would love to see a video of how the anti-skate is properly setup on these tonearms.

Greatly appreciate your input, advice and suggestions.

Cheers,
TMQ
qchorn
I use 2 donuts on the outrigger with the others on the top....slide them close to the pivot and I'm good to go...it just adds a bit of compensation, though I can't hear a difference with/without it.  I twist the whole assembly on its attachment to the tonearm so that it's travel is the same with the arm in the leadin or leadout grooves.
thanks stringreen.  Would you mind posting a photo or even a super short video for how you have your anti-skate mechanism setup?
VPI does not believe in anti skate. The reason they give you the fishing line gizmo is because people expected it to come with one.  This is straight from Harry of VPI in their turntable forum. 
If you need to use the VPI anti-skate device (depends on the arm and cart, IME), the easiest way to set it is with the Peter Lederman method as previously mentioned. Using an LP with a wide lead-out groove or a grooveless LP helps with this. Then make sure that (1) when the tonearm is at the lead-in groove, the 2 arms of the anti-skate device are pointing at 9:30 o’clock as you look from the front of the TT, and (2) when the tonearm is at the lead-out grove, the 2 arms of the anti-skate device are pointing at 11:45 o’clock (where there is the maximum anti-skating force being exerted). From my measurements, this results in minimizing distortion, especially any large differences in distortion as between the L and R channels (which is what you are trying to achieve).  Of course, the fishing line should be as close to the center/fulcrum of the anti-skate device as possible, and connected with 1 or 2 doughnuts to the arm that has the edges on it.
VPI anti skate.....don't bother per VPI(HW)
You absolutely need A/S per Soundsmith.

You can drive yourself mad worrying which suggestion is correct.

I can't hear a difference either way on my Classic. I've gone periods with and without.

Following SS advice, you will have to use considerable weight to slow the arm down at the run out groove. Those little orings are too light.

The VPI setup is low tech. No AS is perfect anyway. It needs to be a live system monitoring and correcting itself as a record plays.

That said, I use a compromise setting of about  1.5 grams. Doesn't appear to slow the arm down, but it's something to slow down the uneven stylus wear?

Enjoy the music, at least it's not affected by what's going on now.