Six DAC Comparison

I am in the middle of comparing the sound of six different DACs in my system. I own them all (I know weird) but one of them is still within a trial/return timeframe.

Not to share specific comparisons today, but a couple of observations so far are that first, they all definitely sound different from each other. On one hand, they all sound pretty good and play what is fed to them without significant flaws but on the other hand there are definite sonic differences that make it easy to understand how a person might like the sound of some of them while not liking others.

Second, raises the observation that most of them must be doing something to shape the sound in the manner the designer intended since one of the DACs, a Benchmark DAC3 HGA, was described by John Atkinson of Stereophile as providing "state-of-the-art measured performance." In the review, JA closed the measurements section by writing, "All I can say is "Wow!" I have also owned the Tambaqui (not in my current comparison), which also measured well ("The Mola Mola Tambaqui offers state-of-the-digital-art measured performance." - JA). The Benchmark reminds me sonically of the Tambaqui, both of which are excellent sounding DACs.

My point is that if the Benchmark is providing "state-of-the-art measured performance," then one could reasonably presume that the other five DACs, which sound different from the Benchmark, do not share similar ’state-of-the-art" measurements and are doing something to subtly or not so subtly alter the sound. Whether a person likes what they hear is a different issue.

mitch2

Most of these are well above my price range, but I am interested when you finally finish your comparisons where the LTA stacks up in this list. Keep having fun. 

@moonwatcher - I am just finishing up my write-up on the Mojo Audio Mystique EVO Pro, which will be my baseline for comparing against the others. LTA Aero will be next.  All the nice end of summer weather we have had this week is getting in the way of my evaluations!

@mitch2 - Thanks for allowing us to enjoy your evaluations and comparisons vicariously. It's a great opportunity to learn about these other products I've not yet had the opportunity to hear and experience. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on these different products. While I'm absolutely happy with my Merason DAC1 MKii, I'm curious about the sonic strengths of these other DACS. 

Thanks again for allowing us to enjoy the journey with you. 

I just want to mention that the Bricasti M19 SACD transport and M19 (and their M12 Series II) DAC have an I2S connection optimized for working together. Their DACs also have an optional internal network renderer.

Preamble

My next post will consist of my observations of the Mojo Audio Mystique EVO Pro DAC.  This will be the longest write-up of the DACs being compared since I have owned this one the longest and I am very comfortable and pleased with the sound of the EVO Pro DAC.  The EVO Pro will be my baseline, or reference, for the following DAC comparison write-ups. 

In my write-ups for the individual DACs, I plan to link professional on-line reviews related to the subject DAC.  To get the most out of my comparison write-ups, I suggest reading the linked reviews, because they will contain technical, operational, and aesthetic information about the subject DACs that I will not repeat in my write-ups, and because I may refer to comments contained in some of the reviews.   In addition, I agree in general with the observations and conclusions reported in the published reviews for these DACs.   However, in some cases you need to read between the lines, and certain reviewers either have bias for or against a certain type of sound, or exaggerate certain aspects of the subject DAC but, overall, I believe the reviewers mostly nail the essence of each DAC.  

After the EVO Pro, I plan to post a write-up on the Linear Tube Audio Aero DAC, because there seems to be the most interest in that DAC and because I am under a time line for that one.  I will save the Mojo Audio Mystique X SE NCZ until last and provide a comparison between the two Mojo Audio DACs.  My initial impression between those two DACs favored the EVO Pro but because of the many positive reviews of the X SE, my discussions with Benjamin, and my purchase of the NCZ version of the X SE, I will revisit my comparison between the two Mojo Audio DACs to find out if I reach the same conclusion.

Disclaimer

Keep in mind that my subjective observations will be biased by my personal auditory preferences, my home system (virtual system posted here), my music selections, and my methodology (or lack of).  Also remember, this is NOT a play-off or “best DAC” competition, and I do not plan to select a “winner”.  The write-ups I will post are not intended to be interpreted as an authoritative “last-word” or an analysis following the scientific method.  I am certainly open to suggestions and questions, and I don’t mind if people disagree.