Speakers, speaker cables or I’m getting old…

I began listening to my gear as it filtered in from various spots in the US. I bought cheap cables, as I waited for my cabling to arrive. I have a set of Heritage Specials, ran from a Pass X150.8. I noticed right out of the gate at what I would call “moderate” volumes there’s a frequency that “smears.” I’ve never heard this in any of my setups, have just read others reference it. Now, what I’ve noticed is as my gear has arrived and as the chain improved, it reduced, but is not gone and I’m unable to listen at louder volumes due to it.

The one item that’s yet to arrive are the speaker cables, currently on there is what was available at the moment, something very thin and cheap.

My prior setup was Harbeth’s off PL, and am very familiar with that sound. I’ve ran PS Audio BHK Mono’s off a set off Dyn Confidence and loved that too. I tend to believe it’s not the speakers. But rather the cheap speaker cables…Or, I’ve aged 3 years since I’ve had a 2ch setup, and my hearing has changed and I’m just more sensitive to certain frequencies. For the record, I’ve always been rather sensitive to an upper mid/higher freq sound, it pierces my brain. B&W + Mac comes to mind…ran that once as well.

The other oddity is that older recordings, or older remasters like Tom Petty Wildflowers and the off shoot releases from it sound amazing. Dave Matthews sounds amazing, Radiohead, Willie Bobo, so there’s a bunch that doesn’t generate that smear or sheen. I’m using qobuz. Really, anything metal related, Tool, Lamb of God, Metallica is a little harsh to listen to and moderate volumes.

Thoughts?

toddcowles

@mijostyn Ahhh, that timing aligns…I remember seeing their pressers for the new lineup, then poof, gone.  

It’s good to hear, I owned one for a few years and tried multiple times to get rid of it, due to the digital limitations.  Even with that limit, it just couldn’t be bested and I kept it for a long time.  I look forward to their new release.

@1971gto455ho I remember meeting Noel Lee in the late 90’s, as the car audio boom took off.  That guy could sell steak to a Vegan.  I often hear the same vigor in mystifying words, terms, and effects with today’s cabling.  

Overthemoon,

"My last comment is as I've upgraded my system I have noted the playing db - and as my system improved the 'spaces of silence' between the notes are more drastic.  I used to listen at 85 db frequently because I thought it sounded better and I enjoyed the feeling of loudness.  No I notice 85 db doesn't seem as loud and I can have a conversation without raising my voice and sometimes I end up listening to music in th mid 60s and 70 db range."

My old set up I was driving Buchardt Audio S400 MKIIs, driven from a Denafrips Thallo amplifier. This set up required more volume to get the best sound from the combo.

I have seen the same thing recently in my system. In the past month or so I've upgraded to Clayton Shaw Caladans (93db sensitive), and the newest CODA S5.5 version with most recent upgrades. This set up with more sensitive speakers and incredible class A power from the CODA, I find myself not needing to always crank the volume to get great sound, and I'm listening more frequently because I can listen at more reasonable levels.

Everything has begun to settle in. Some isolation bits arrived from Butcher Block Acoustics, swapped in the Harbeth H5 XD’s, along with the new speaker cables. The hiss and sheen on the higher frequencies are no longer present. Tomorrow I’m dropping in a MSB Analog DAC. FWIW, I did A/B using the Inakustik with everything plugged in and using a Shunyata Cyclops dedicated to just the amp. I prefer the later, the biggest difference I noticed was a slightly deeper/cleaner bass. Nothing earth shattering, but something I’ll keep.

Thanks for the input.

@overthemoon 

if the kimber kables you listened to were harsh then you likely have listened to a fake pair. 

lots of fake kimber kable cables out there. 

I also have Heritage Special’s . They take a good long time to break in. I drive my HS with an Aestheix Mimas . Speaker cable is Audience FrontRow. I don’t have ANY issues. Sound is sublime.