Step Up Transformers….Are they Worth the Trouble?

Some of you may aware of my Garrard 301 project, it’s now very close to completion. The plinth finally shipped from Hungry after 3 months of long wait.

Given my last experience with Hana Umami Red, I would like to take things to the next level. Which brings me to mating low output cart with a SUT. Every review I’ve read so far suggests when the SUT-MC match is right, the end result is heavenly. The bass is right, the midrange is clear, and most importantly, the highs are relaxed and extended—not rolled off.

I am not saying you can’t get great sound without a SUT but it appears with a properly matched SUT, sound can be quite magical.

Thought this would be the right time to get input from experienced users here since I am still contemplating my cartridge and outboard phonostage options.

My preference would be to go with a tube phono…I kinda miss tinkering with tubes :-)

My system, Garrard 301 (fully refurbished), Reed 3P tonearm, Accuphase E-650 with built-in AD50 analog board ➡️ Tannoy Canterbury’s.

Cart and phono under consideration through my dealer,

Fuuga - Output : 0.35 mVrms | Impedance : 2.5 Ω (1kHz)

Phonostage - Tron Convergence and Konus Audio Phono Series 1000

The cart - MC combination, I am lusting after is Etsuro Urushi Bordeaux MC with their Etsuro Transformer.
https://www.etsurojapan.com/product/bordeaux

The other transformer is EMIA, cooper or silver version.

Your input is appreciated!

128x128lalitk

@mdalton 

I’m in Texas but I did visit Gestalt couple of years ago. Had a great time with Colin. I was fortunate to listen to Cessaro - Opus 1 paired with New Audio Frontier amp and preamp, WVL - SON & Berlin paired with Tron 300B Integrated and Horning - Aristotle paired with Tron and NAF electronics. All great sounding speakers, match made in heaven for flea watts amplifiers. My personal taste, Opus 1 was bit ‘bright’ or ultra detailed. If I ever walked away from Canterbury’s, Berlin or Aristotle big brother Eufrodite Ellipse PM65 would be my preference. 

Allnic H-6500 now unboxed, it’s a beautiful piece of hardware. Pics uploaded here, 

https://www.audiogon.com/systems/11092

I built my own SUT specifically for very low impedance cartridges. It started off as a nifty science project and initial results were pretty bad. I tossed it in a corner. A year later my phono stage had to go back to the factory for repair, so I dug out the transformer and started experimenting with different ground patterns and physical locations. My new digital preamp has a high output phono stage built in. The SUT has XLR inputs and the output ICs are one foot long and wired directly into the SUT. The case is made up of exotic hardwoods lined 100% with permalloy. After a few wiring iterations I finally obtained a very acceptable signal to noise ratio and very acceptable performance with one cartridge, the Altas SL. My others were awful. The lesson being that a SUT has to be designed for a specific type of cartridge, in this case very low impedance cartridges under 2 ohms. The sound is super detailed with excellent imaging. It is not quite as dynamic and vibrant as my Seta L phono stage. How much of this is due to the DEQX's phono stage I can not tell, but I have to say I am pleasantly surprised at the performance. I should also mention that the actual transformers are made by Sowter in England. The pair cost a whopping $400. 

@pindac Atma-Sphere is an electronics engineer and his opinions are stated as such. He is a lousy sales person and insinuating he is acting as one is a slap in the face.  

@lalitk 

interesting.  I’ve only heard Cessaros once, at Capital Audio Fest last year.  Was Wagner II with a TW Acustic system put together by Jeffrey Catlalano of High Water Sound (NYC).  Sublime.  Have never heard Hornings, but they are intriguing. Heard WVLs at same show - Chicagos or Sons, don’t remember - but was surprised how much I liked them.    Another speaker that surprised me at same show, and am guessing you’d like, are Rethms; not that expensive, but really easy to listen to.

@mdalton 

I never heard Wagner II but Jeff’s system at shows are among the best. That system you’re referencing is well north of $200K. 

https://youtube.com/shorts/ERj4mZBScaw?si=NdsVJbXcXS9nu4lV

IMO, Horns speakers needs way more diligence when it comes upstream electronics. You get that synergy ‘right’ and you”re in for a royal treat. Another brand that always impresses me is Avantgarde’s. I once heard their pairing with Phasemation’s MA-1500 (300B mono’s) and Control Meister Pre…sublime!  

I have yet to hear another 300B amp that can rival MA-1500’s. And I have heard lot of 300B’s. Went all out and got one custom made with Hashimoto’s but did not get there, turned out to be a disaster :-) 

@lalitk 

i’ll be damned.  He was running a Fuuga - the whole system sounded so good I didn’t focus on that at all.