Steve Morse pays tribute to Jeff beck

stuartk

@tablejockey 

Two very different tunes.

Given Beck's gift for interpreting and personalizing melodies, I for one am glad he ended up with the tune with the greater potential for melodic playing. 

As Rick Beato states, 'Jeff Beck isn't copiable - he's 1 of 1'.

Steve needs to throw away the pick as it adds too much staccato to the beautiful and flowing melody.  He also needs to get a guitar with a whammy bar if he wants to emulate Beck.  I forgot, there is no copying Beck.  I've seen him a dozen times when he began with Rod Stewart, his solo tours and with SRV and ZZ Top. The most amazing part is that he seemed to get better every year of his career.

@cycles2

Steve needs to throw away the pick as it adds too much staccato to the beautiful and flowing melody.

It’s a matter of opinion whether Morse’s version is "too staccato".

Setting that question aside, you must be one heck of a player to be giving S. Morse advice on technique!

I'm age 68. I've heard the name Steve Morse before, but never heard him play (unless incidentally). I never developed an interest in Dixie Dregs because I thought it would be another boring Southern Rock band.

Well, after watching this video, consider me appropriately spanked. I've now started watching the Rick Beato interview, and I'll check out Dixie Dregs, Deep Purple, etc., etc., to hear more of Steve Morse. Thanks!

Post removed