Streaming, Getting the Signal, Then What?

I feel so stupid not getting the streaming thing though at almost 70 years old I have moved more toward digital then any time previously.  My PS Audio AirLens into a PS Audio DirectStream DAC MK1 gets its signal from a Netgear Nighthawk CAX80 modem/router purchased in Jan. '22.  I know I get a signal. I hear music play. Is this Netgear product better than the freebie that the ISP provider installs?  I think so. But following discussion FORUM I tend to think I may be able to do better, maybe?

So chime please as to what perhaps I should considered considering my AirLense & MK1 DAC. PLEASE, do not tell me why what I have could be so much better if.... This post presumes I have the equipment I have. From modem/router to sources is a high end AudioQuest ethernet cable product. That also is out of the equation for whomever wants to opine as to my cable choice.

Recommendations please.  If it matters the sources feed into a PS Audio BHK Signature pre, then into a pair of PS Audio M1200 monoblocks.  Speakers are Ohm Walsh Tall 3000. Love love love the flexibility I get from omni-directionals.  O.K., you can share your thoughts about my Ohms. But budget doesn't allow MBL or German Physiks.  Thanks one and all.

128x128veemike

The AirLens is dumb. You cannot play via a remote app like most of us. No USB drive play. I cannot think of a worse choice for a first streamer.

It is built for DLNA. Good luck with that.

I don’t know what you want to do but it might be impossible as dreamed up.

Wow! I cannot believe how quickly my OP went off topic. No, I am not changing my "stupid" AirLens.  And no, at this point, my DirectStream DAC MK1 is not "on the chopping block."  I could not have been more clear in my OP, that the equipment I have is the equipment relevant to this discussion. 

Go take that discussion elsewhere please. 

I appreciate audioman58 starting in the right direction mentioning Motorola 8702 and LHY SW-8 switch.  Please stay on OP topic. Greatly appreciated. 

And to zlone, excellent point - no, there's nothing in my current setup that bothers me - nothing. I am just exploring a potential step up allowing my ISP signal to be possibly better than what I am experiencing through my current Netgear Nighthawk CAX80 modem/router device. 

Good test for quality of streaming chain. Streaming sound quality should be at least equal to cd's played over quality transport.

I feel so stupid not getting the streaming thing though at almost 70 years old I have moved more toward digital then any time previously.

At age 70, hearing quality dissipates and the ear lobes could start turning into cauliflowers. So, maximize the bang 4 buck on components and give the spare change to your struggling grandson instead.

Streamer: Wiim Ultra.

Price is around 300 bucks, very feature rich (full peq and some room correction, if needed), has a very polished easy to use user interface for senior citizens. It could sound very good on its own, but, if you insist on a external dac, it offers a USB out as well so the dac doesn’t depend on any timing from the streamer.

Externl Dac: Schiit Bifrost

Price is around 800 bucks. Run this great R2R dac in NOS mode and it’s all you may ever need.

Thanks eric_squire

The two main reasons to use your own router are cost and security....

Right now the bargains in Wifi routers are Wifi 6 capable unit which are being discounted now that Wifi 7 is out.  They'll serve you well for many years.

I own my Netgear Nighthawk and stay up to date. And my 1,000 sf. factory loft has minimal walls, 11' rough masonry ceilings. The modem/router is placed centrally. So mesh is not an issue. And it is Wifi 6 DOCSIS 3.1. It was a $500 unit in Jan. '22. 

Any other ON TOPIC suggestions to augment my current setup or possibly step up a grade or two from the Nighthawk?