Subwoofer Advice

I am running a pair of Martin Logan ESL 13A speakers (24-23,000 Hz). I would have thought with two 10" woofers there would be more bas (the base level dial on the rear of the speakers doesn’t seem to cut it either).

In the past I had a pair of ML Spires (29-23,000 Hz) with only one 10" woofer that had so much base, I sold my pair of ForceField 30s. Not the case with the 13A’s.

I don’t have a lot of room, maybe 16" or so square and I was wondering about a pair of SVS Micros. Do you think they would complement the 13As or do I need something bigger?

Martin Logan has come out with a few new subs lately; do you think I should keep in the ML family?

Hoping to come in under $2K, so used is fine. Thanks all!

I should also mention I’m limited on space so placement would likely have to be on the inside or the outside of the main speakers (same back wall).

128x128navyachts

Not a good idea. The KEFs are quite small. The next best place would be in corners.

@big_greg You are right, this is a diversion, but @navyachts problem has been successfully addressed and his interest has been diverted to the subwoofer question. I am nowhere near the most intelligent person on this website, but I have been using subs with ESLs since 1978 and building subs since 1987. Experience being the teacher that it is I feel qualified to deal with his situation. ESLs are like the most beautiful girl you wish you never met. It is easy to make them sound terrible putting additional requirements on associated equipment, particularly amplifiers and subwoofer systems. 

Experience is a great teacher.  I recommend letting someone start out slow and easy and if they want to go down rabbit holes from there, good on them.

Let's get back to the original question:

"I don’t have a lot of room, maybe 16" or so square and I was wondering about a pair of SVS Micros. Do you think they would complement the 13As or do I need something bigger?"

The answer is "you won't know until you try".  Get a pair of the SVS Micros, try them out, and if they don't "complement" the speakers, send them back and try something bigger. 

What "additional strain" are they going to put on the amplifiers or subwoofer systems?  They have their own amplifiers and there is no existing subwoofer system.  Everything you're saying makes more $$$$$$$ than ¢¢¢¢¢¢¢.

@big_greg thanks for chiming in. Same question, how would I wire up the SVS Micros?

My power amp is on the same wall as my speakers, all the other components are on the side wall.

My preamp has these outlets:

1. Signal output is through two balanced XLR connectors and four unbalanced RCA connectors. The XLR pinout is identical to the input receptacles.

2. The Processor loop connectors permit the connection of an external audio device such as a surround sound processor or equalizer. Connect the output jacks to the input of the processor, and the output of the processor to the processor input jacks of the preamplifier.

It looks like your preamp has 3 sets of outputs.  The SVS Micro only has unbalanced inputs, so it would have to be from one of your RCA outputs.  Other subwoofers have balanced inputs.  You can get the Rythmik F12 with balanced inputs (it's an option) if those are the only outputs you have available.  It looks like they are back-ordered for a couple of months though.