Synergistic Red Fuse ...

I installed a SR RED Quantum fuse in my ARC REF-3 preamp a few days ago, replacing an older high end fuse. Uhh ... for a hundred bucks, this little baby is well worth the cost. There was an immediate improvement upon installation, but now that its broken in (yes, no kidding), its quite remarkable. A tightening of the focus, a more solid image, and most important of all for my tastes, a deeper appreciation for the organic sound of the instruments. Damn! ... cellos sound great! Much improved attack on pianos. More humanistic on vocals. Bowed bass goes down forever. Next move? .... I'm doing the entire system with these fuses. One at a time though just to gauge the improvement in each piece of equipment. The REF-75se comes next. I'll report the results as the progression takes place. Stay tuned ...

Any comments from anyone else who has tried these fuses?
128x128oregonpapa

tzh21y:

I would put a Black fuse in the amp next and then the preamp.

tboooe:

I believe you are going to like the sound of the Synergistic Research Black fuse. There will be an immediate change but then it will take up to 100 hours of playing time to fully settle in. During this time there may be a sense of the music being constricted but then it will open up and have a wonderful sense of effortless flow.

If you like the change in sound I suggest putting a Black fuse in          CD  player/DAC next. finally replace the other internal fuses.

The SR Black fuses come with a 30 day return policy. So take your time listening and enjoy. 

David Pritchard

A little slow on checking the forum these days... but:

Charles - PWD Direct-to-amp. I would like to add a Coincident LS, but need the remote version, can only afford to buy used, and have trouble committing to that cost when the DAC already handles all my inputs.  I'm not currently buying anything, but vacillate pretty strongly between wanting to spend on the LS, a speaker upgrade to the Total Eclipses, or dealing with my power (probably by buying a regenerator like the PS audio P5 or P10, as my power browns out semi-regularly).  Tough to figure out which is the best investment.  

OP - One of my fuses was used and the other was new.  I never checked on hours though. The PWD has two fuses and replacing either with a Red (new or used) always hurt the cause.  It's been a while so I don't remember the exact details, but I did run them in for at least three days (the DAC is always on).  My comparisons to the stock fuses happened after that.
"OP - One of my fuses was used and the other was new. I never checked on hours though. The PWD has two fuses and replacing either with a Red (new or used) always hurt the cause. It's been a while so I don't remember the exact details, but I did run them in for at least three days (the DAC is always on). My comparisons to the stock fuses happened after that."

Al, now THAT is anecdotal.

;-)
Hi Cal,
As you probably know I am a very happy owner of the Coincident Line Stage and Total Eclipse II speakers. Both are terrific. However if I were you I'd address your AC power deficiency issues first.  I've found that high quality AC power is crucial to maximizing the potential of an audio system. No matter how exceptional the components or speakers,  they'll be compromised without good quality electrical power. 
Charles,