Technics SL 1200 GR

Hi everyone,

I know that a lot of you might think I am crazy but it is what it is.  I heard a Rega Planar 6 play a few days ago and was totally mesmerized with the sound. This will be my first TT and I am the type that prefers to buy the best I can instead of starting small, selling and upgrading. I have to admit, I do enjoy fiddling with upgrades but the idea is to get a future proof turntable and upgrade stuff like cartridges, etc along the way.  

Before you recommend that I get the P6, its simply out of my budget. I could consider the P3 if you believe its better than the SL 1210 GR (not the latest model 2 but the original one). 

Anyway, here are some questions I was hoping you'd be able to help me with:

• What will a good starter Cartridge?
  • Should I go for MM or MC? Is one more complicated to install than the other? prefer something simple as its my first time.  Also, I read stuff like LO and HO.. For what ts worth, I will be using my Marantz PM Ki Ruby's built in phono (I believe it can handle both MM and MC, I could be wrong).
  • Anything else I should keep in mind?  Basic products for maintenance? 

Thanks in advance for your help. I appreciate it!

prashanth14485

@prashanth14485

As daunting it may seem but Installing cart is relatively an easy task. Don’t over tighten the screws..lol. Here are couple of must own accessories that will make your life easier, both of these accessories are available from Elusivedisc.com

1) Audio Additives Digital Stylus Force Gauge 
2) Nasotec Headshell Lead Tweezers

I have owned both the P3, P6, and 1200GR (original Japan model), though no two at the same time. The Rega and Technics are very different animals with differing sounds and feature sets. The feature set on the 1200GR is stellar. If you play 78s and 45s, as I do, one just needs to push a button and the universal headshells allow a quick switch of cartridges. Speed correcting off speed 78s is also easy, or default to 33 and the quartz lock is right on.

Regrettably, I did not care for the sound quality with a variety of cartridges. Lower midrange and bass, to me, and in the context of my system, was always thick and confused. I was never able to get it sounding acceptable to me, YMMV.

The P3 is a stripper as far as features go and changing 33 to 45 is inelegant. That said, I could easily live with the direct and resolute sound quality. I will also say that I am not saddled with perfect pitch. If I was I might have a different preference. Good luck with the hunt.

Other than the cartridge, no upgrade on a turntable is going to bring about a night-and-day improvement.  So don't believe that the Technics or P3 isn't future-proof.  The Technics does have a removable headshell which to me is vitally important as I like to flip cartridges around.  I even replaced my expensive Luxman table for a low end Technics for that reason.

I have a 1200G and several of the carts being discussed. Generally, I have found MC carts to be more resolving than MM carts. The problem is with the phono pre-amp. Any preamp being asked to produce 65db of gain runs the risk of adding noise. The Hana is a great cart and I am using one now, but if I were in your shoes I may start with a Denon 103. Great bang for the buck and you can get a read on your preamp before laying out the major cash. If you can tell us your loading options, that may help. Once you start down the MC path, cartridge loading is key. 

Thanks everyone for taking the time to share your inputs.  I really appreciate it.

@zazouswing: after going through yesterday's comments and doing some research, I ended up ordering the AT VM540 ML (with a head shell). It had very good reviews and part of me wanted to make this a journey. 

My understanding is that a change in Cartridge can bring about the biggest change, so starting with the AT will give me something to look forward.  I'll better understand why Hana, MC or even some of the MM cartridges are as expensive as they are.