The $5000.00 Complete System Challenge

I have an exciting challenge for the Audiogon community....

If you had a Rega P7 turntable already, but need all other components of your system, what would you buy not to exceed $5000?

Need: Amp, Pre, CD Player, and Speakers

Used items are ok.... assume current Audiogon classified pricing.

Would you spend most on speakers? Most on Amp? You guys tell me....
piech
You will get better help if you tell us a few more things - what integrated are you using, room dimensions, speakers on the short or long wall, how far apart from each other, how far from the back wall can the speakers be, how far from the speakers to where you will sit to listen, monitors or floor standing, how deep do you need the bass to be? Carpeted or hard floors? And a tougher question but quite important - What "kind" of sound are you looking for?
McIntosh MX135 preamp-$2200
McIntosh MC727 amp-$1900
Thiel CS 2.22 $800
Anti Cables $100
I would go a different direction and spend a fair amount on the cd player and electronics. Someone has already mentioned staying with Rega for the complete system, and there's a lot of merit in that. Another package that comes to mind with a lot of capability and good reputation for sound quality per dollar is the Quad 99 series. The 99 CDS, 99 preamp, and 909 power amp would eat up about $3500, still leaving room for the very good Quad 21L speakers. If at all possible, visit a number of dealerships, discuss your sonic priorities, room size, placement issues, etc., and let them demonstrate systems they think would meet your needs.
Questions about your space, taste and current amplifier are critical.

Rega and Quad ideas are excellent.

Before going all in for speakers, here are some suggestions for a balanced system within your budget.

Used system from Agon right now:

CD Player
-Primare D30.2 Reference
-Naim CDX
-Jolida JD100

Phono Preamplifier
-PS Audio GCPH

Integrated Amplifier
-Primare 30.1
-Sim Audio Moon 3.1SE

Speakers
-Gallo Reference 3.1.

New system:

CD Player
-Marantz CD6003

Phono Preamp
-Musical Surroundings Phenomena 2

Integrated Amplifier
-NAD C375BEE

Speakers
-Vandersteen 2ce Signature II.

With more information about your circumstances, recommendations for $5K speakers will be easier and more productive.
I would get the best Arcam integrated and CD-player I could afford along with the Vandersteen 2Ce. I would also look at the PSB or Paradigm speaker lines for alternatives to the VS. I agree with previous posts that at this price point I would look to an integrated, unless you choose speakers that could be driven by 35 watts. In that case, I would get a Goldpoint Passive Volume Control (New $400 w/2 inputs), a Creek phono stage and Music Reference RM10 MkII (New $1,950) amplifier and sensitive speakers. I use a Lightspeed Attenuator ($450 - single input) with the Music Reference and it is a SOTA combo in the context of much more expensive combos I own and have owned.