The Future of Audio Amplification

I have recently paired an Audio Research DS225 Class D amplifier with an Audio Research tube preamplifier (SP8 mkii). I cannot believe how wonderful and lifelike my music sounds. The DS225 replaced an Audio Research SD135 Class AB amplifier. Perhaps the SD135 is just not as good as some of the better quality amps that are out there, but it got me thinking that amazingly wonderful sonance can be achieved with a tubed pre and Class D amp. I have a hunch that as more people experience this combination, it will likely catch on and become the future path of many, if not most audiophile systems. It is interesting that Audio Research has been at the forefront of this development.
distortions

Hello guidocorona...Any time frame on the Rowland M535’s review release? I’m very much interested on what you have to say about them. Wondering how they may compete with Merrill’s Veritas monos. Thanks...

Hello aolmrd1241, I now have most of the pieces of the eval post.... Need to stitch them together, remove burrs, integrate a few more bits of technical information, and audible observations, and then I will post to Audiogon.

G.

and  

I'm in rapture listening to the glorious distortions of my Class D amps as I write.  

Go to Stereophile and look at the last 5 or 6 class D amps they’ve measured. Unless JA applies a low pass filter on the AP the output signals look horrendous. Even with the low pass filter, they all have ringing. I was just looking at the Below Canto Black and that thing isn’t horrible, but .05% of garbage distortion at 200mW!?!?!? That’s ridiculous.

- Kosst

The problem is you are "looking" and not listening.

We apply the low pass because the distortion analyzer’s numbers would pick out signals no human could hear, not to mention those signals could not make it past the speaker drivers. Without those low pass filters, the distortion numbers loose all meaning for our use.

It’s not just enough to have a measurement, but you have to know how to apply it correctly to an application. Blindly accepting a number as true or useful is the root of all evil.

I compared Parasound A23 class A/B amps to my Class D. Could not tell the difference even knowing which was which. Tell me please how much of that ultrasonic ringing I should care about.

Best,

E
The evidence of my ears are telling me Class D must do distortion right. Go figure!

Dead quiet. 
Very dynamic and nuance/detailed yet smooth and lush. 
Soundstage and imaging to kill for. 
A touch warm even.  

Where is the distortion?   Must be there somewhere....