Thoughts on Active/Passive Speakers? Looking for pros and cons.

Hi all, 

I've normally discounted the notion of active/passive speaker combos, but am warming up to the idea and may give them a listen.  Golden Ear gets good reviews, but i'm intrigued by the new Paradigm Founder Series 120H.  

Curious if anyone has heard the Founders, or maybe compared the Active Persona 9H against one of the lower end versions.  

Thanks in advance.  

EW
128x128mtbiker29
I prefer the former but I’m not a DIY guy and I don’t want to fry a speaker using the wrong parameters. I know some have used different amps and tweaked the settings for JBL M2’s but setting up actives with DSP crossovers is more than simply picking what amp you like and randomly plugging numbers in the control engine.
Boy I must be living on a different planet. You guys are talking about having an active VS passive crossover. That has ZERO to do with active loudspeaker that have the amplifier/Amplifiers built into the speakers with electronics to provide not only the crossover but also to EQ the speaker. Sonos speakers are an example of "Active" loudspeakers. Active crossovers and bi or tri amping have been around for decades. Whether doing this is better than a well designed passive crossover is a toss up and depends on who you talk to. You are using passive loudspeakers. As long as the amps and crossovers are outboard the speakers are passive. If you think you can do better using an active crossover than the designer's passive crossover you might be sadly mistaken. 
Nope, not at all. You bypass the passive crossovers entirely. Eliminating resistances of the inductors and phase shift and delay of the caps. Solid wire between voice coils and amplifier outputs. You can still use you DSP for corrections if you like...
Eliminating resistances of the inductors and phase shift and delay of the caps.
Nope, you can't eliminate phase shift even with active.

fiesta25, I have been biamping speakers with active crossovers since 1978. I have had no passive crossovers in my system since I got rid of the Divas around 2000. I have said on numerous occasions the best crossover is no crossover. There is a difference in a passive speaker owner selected electronics and an "active" loudspeaker with built in electronics designed specifically for that speaker and for which the owner has no say in the matter. Some of them are only partially active requiring an outboard amp usually to drive the midrange and tweeters. Again, My Sonos 3's are a good example of an active speaker. You just plug them into the wall and you are ready to go (they are also wireless) My Soundlabs are passive speakers and they are driven by JC1's after an active crossover at 120 Hz along with room control and digital EQ. It seems some people here would call them active loudspeakers. That would be incorrect.

@andy2 , sure you can, as long as your active crossover is digital there is no distortion or phase shift.

djones, Using active crossovers is quite simple. You start with the same slopes and crossover points used in the passive crossover and if things sound fine you leave them there. The only danger you have to be aware of is trying to run a tweeter too low down and damaging it. It is difficult o harm a driver with too much power. It will distort like crazy before it blows.
It is underpowered amps clipping that blows drivers. You burn up the voice coils. In my case you burn up the brilliance controls:-)