Time For a CD Player Upgrade

I've been using a Rega Saturn Mk 2.  I recently upgraded my turntable to the Mark Levinson 5105 w/ the Ortofon Quintet Black S.  In comparison my CD's are sounding overly bright.   Any thoughts on a comparable upgrade to my CD listening?  My budget is about $4000-5000, new or used.  The Hegel Viking looks interesting.  Any recommendation for an upgrade will be appreciated. 

mellowshifi

Do not buy a typical cd player with a slot or a drawer.......I bought a TOP Loader and now I can put disc stabilizers on top of the CD and then drop the metal weight on top of the stabilizing disc which is on top of the CD....Your whole system will sound more musical....detailed but not harsh....Top loader...you'll never go back, once you experience this phenomenon............

....and you won't have to send your Marantz SACD player back 3 times to repair a drawer that just stopped working.....Like I had to.

About a month ago I replaced my Audiolab CDT 6000 with a Shanling ET3 (MSRP $729) it's unbelievable but adding a VeraFI Snubway ($295) was even more incredible/. the 6000 is for sale cheap  

Just my two cents.  I have owned three ModWright CD/SACD players. Sony 999es, Sony 5400 and the Marantz 8005.  The Marantz was my favorite.  As others have said, I think the Marantz Ruby would probably be a contender or a used Marantz SA-10.  That being said the Teac VRDS-701 peaked my interest and has received positive feedback.  I went a different route in my current player the Esoteric K-03XD.  Of course it beat out the Marantz offerings and should for the cost difference.  If you can, audition the Teac VRDS-701 before deciding.

@mellowshifi

I bought a 'factory reconditioned' new Hegel Mohician - right from the start, the CD tray would not load the CD, have to turn the unit off just as the drawer closes to get it to load. Then playback started skipping, have to hit forward and back several times, seems the lubricaton on the laser rails it lacking.

A similar issue with a fellow audiogoner with his Viking, he sent it to be serviced twice and nothing changed. And my factory re-conditioned would not play from the get go. My take away is Hegel has an lubrication issue with their players, (hoping it just a lubricate the rails issue), but the arrangement with service here in the states is poor. 

All that being said, the player sounds fantastic, just color me disappointed with their service.