Tonearm recommendation

Hello all,
Recently procured a Feickert Blackbird w/ the Jelco 12 inch tonearm.
The table is really good, and its a keeper. The Jelco is also very good, but not as good as my Fidelity Research FR66s. So the Jelco will eventually hit Ebay, and the question remains do I keep the FR66s or sell that and buy something modern in the 5-6 K range. My only point of reference is my old JMW-10 on my Aries MK1, so I don't know how the FR66s would compare to a modern arm. So I'd like to rely on the collective knowledge and experience of this group for a recommendation.

Keep the FR66s, or go modern in the 5-6K range, say a Moerch DP8 or maybe an SME.

Any and all thoughts and opinions are of course much appreciated.

Cheers,      Crazy Bill
wrm0325
fleib, because of another comment I just reread your 3-4-2016 post.  I may have misunderstood something with my first reading.

You mentioned a Dennesen accessory to locate the arm mounting hole.  I thought that was in response to my comment on locating the pivot point for the arm.  But my mention had nothing to do with locating the pivot point to drill and mount an arm.  Rather it related to setting up the Dennesen.  This can be difficult with arms which do not identify their pivot point in some way on top of the arm tube or pivot armature.  That was my reference to disappointments in use.  Fortunately that has not been an issue with most arms I've used.

Back to arm recommendations and some discussion here of the DV505. Without making any specific recommendation I might suggest that Crazy Bill, and any others looking for an arm, to consider if they have reason to prefer one of the common alignment formulas and pick an arm which conforms with that.  Case in point, which includes the DV505, I recently found this in a post on Vinyl Asylum by bkearns, "The following is a list of tonearms with recommended null radii at or near the IEC inner groove radius (60.325mm):- Audio Technica AT1009; Audio Technica AT1010; Dynavector DV 505; Hadcock Super Unilift MKIII; Infinity Black Widow GF; Keith Monks M9BA Mk3; Series 20 PA1000. In addition the Rega tonearms (perhaps), and many integrated turntables from Japan appear to conform to this system. Perhaps the popularity of Stevenson's method relates to the predominance of British engineering in turntables and tonearms."

Happy listening.
OK flieb, you asked for it.

My grandfather on my mother's side was Norwegian, and he was a fisherman. During my teenage years he would take me fishing for flounder ( upon which he relied heavily to feed his family ), along the Ct. shore between Westport and Norwalk. Our favorite spot was the Sagatuck Bridge on the Sagatuck River in Westport. When the flounder were running, the action was fast and furious. We would think nothing of 100+ fish hauls during the run.

Well, there was also eel runs in the river. My grandfather hated to catch them, as they would get up to 3 ft.+ and be 2 inches in diameter. Getting them off of the hook was a major league PITA.

Grandpa passed in 1969, and I continued to fish the river. I was fishing there one morning, and two old  Portugese gentlemen were sitting in chairs at one end of the bridge, and the eels were running. They offered me fifty cents an eel, no limits to how many. They had a sack, I only had to kill them before I put them in the sack ( which was pretty much necessary to get the hook out of them anyway ).  I was making $ 20.00 + every Sunday morning having fun, which wasn't too shabby for a young college student. It was how I spent my Sunday mornings.

Well, one Sunday a bunch of my college buddies tagged along, because they didn't believe me about the Portugese gents and the money I made.
After watching me have a great haul, and of course killing each eel, ( I used the humane method of a ghillie ( slang term used for a police type slapper used to dispatch the eel by wacking it in the head ), as we walked off the bridge, my buddy Dennis looks at me and said " I hereby name you Crazy Bill the Eel Killer ". And so it began.

They still call me that to this day, and it spread ( much to my initial dismay at the time ) around the University of Bridgeport campus like wildfire.

You did ask.

Cheers,                          Crazy Bill

dover, no I don’t modified my 505 and the new set up is only 2mm ( around it ) on P2S and less than 1.5° on OA. The dyna specs are not accurate.
Never mind, has no critical importance your posts but a misunderstanding by your part. Please don’t give any answer to this opinion.

Raul,
Accuracy of set up is critical to optimising the performance of an analogue playback system.
You are wrong when you make a contention that alignment choice - Baerwald, Lofgren, Stevenson etc - is of less importance. This shows a complete ignorance of the underlying engineering principles and choices that designers have employed in the design of their tonearms.
If you think that aligning a cartridge in such a way that the cartridge is out of alignment with the vertical bearings has zero impact, then this reinforces to me that you do not understand basic mechanical engineering and basic principles of physics.
If you don’t want responses to your posts then you should not be participating in this forum. I suggest you start another website where you can peddle your theories without being interrupted by others who may know more than you.

Post removed 

Pryso, Dennesen sold a separate device for dealers. I couldn't remember the name. I searched for a photo, but couldn't find one. It was called the Pivotram and used for locating arm mount holes.  I do the same thing as you - reverse the SoundTractor bar and use a ruler to measure distance. It's easy for me to correct for the offset of the bar and get a pretty accurate mount hole. There is usually a little play in the fit of the arm pillar into the hole, especially with DIY drilling.

When using a pivot pointer device like this to align, it doesn't matter if your mounting distance is off a hair or two, as long as you can align to the grid with the pointer in correct position, your alignment is good. A SoundTractor or Feikert works where the pivot is actually located, not where it theoretically should be. If your arm mounting distance is off a bit , and you get a good alignment, then your offset angle will also be off a hair.  Here's an old discussion about it. My user name was lfleib.

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=10827

With most pivoting arms the cantilever is not pointing to a pivot, due to offset. The discussion of maintaining mfg. offset is arm specific, and should be limited to that IMO.

RE: the quote - I tend to think the Brits should be blamed for most things, but I don't know about the Japanese use of the Stevenson alignment. That seems a bit of a stretch. The use of Stevenson was a very sensible thing at the time, but became a sort of default standard along with 15mm overhang.  If you have an arm designed for Stevenson, there are some options.

Part of the quote was linking Dynavector to Stevenson.  It is not.

Regards,