Tube Amp or Tube Pre Amp

For those of you who have experience with tubes, what would be your preference.

Tube Amp with tube preamp, Tube Amp with solid state preamp, or Solid state Amp with tube preamp

My system currently is Mcintosh MC352 Amp Solid State, Mcintosh C49 Pre Amp SS, Klipsch Cornwall IV speakers. 

I want to try tubes so with my current set up should I go tube amp or tube preamp?

Thanks

referee1

I would try a tube integrated amp.  An integrated amp is often not that much more than a power amp.  With some amps, the integrated amp is essentially a power amp with input jacks, selector knob and a volume control.

There is nothing like the sound of a GOOD tube preamp. When I replaced my Shiit Freya with a Rogue RP-9 the system was so quiet, and the sound was so ‘sweet’; I could relax into the music, there was no going back. At that time, I had McIntosh MC252 power amps; now the RP-9 is mated to a Rogue ST-100 (Dark) power amplifier (KT120s output tubes), and the sweetness is still there. It is my favorite playback combination driving vintage Warfedale E70s (15” woofer, 1” Mylar tweeter, 5.25” midrange). I have yet to explore the differences between output tubes, like the 300B, EL34, 845, etc. but a good tubed preamp has been my gateway to a smooth sound, holographic sound stage, and generally enjoyable listening. I would start with a really good tubed preamp (don’t skimp) and go from there.