Upgrading to Duo 300 XD Stereo Amplifier and Illusion Preamplifier from Krell Evo

I have Krell Evo 402e Amplifier and Phantom Pre Amplifier. I am totally satisfied with this system. However I am thinking about selling and buying the new Krell Duo 300 XD and Illusion Preamplifier. Please share your opinions on the wisdom of this. Is it really an upgrade? 
layton64

Showing 1 response by auxinput

I think the new Krell preamps are similar in sound to the older Phantom generation.  However, the new Duo and XD lines are much different sound than the Evolution generation.  The Evolution generation amps were very high resolution and very transparent.  Excellent if you wanted to get the most resolution and dynamics and transparency out of the sound.  The Evo and Showcase generation could be somewhat bright/harsh on some systems or speakers (but I think the Evo amps are excellent).  The new Duo/Solo and newest XD lines went more towards that very smoothed over Class A type of sound.  Very clean sounding, but colored with smoothed highs and mild/colored midrange.  You would really have to listen to it to understand what I'm trying to describe.  Many people love the new Krell amps, but it really depends on what kind of sound you're looking for.