Velodyne DD15 - worth repairing the plate amp?

The amp in my 2008 Velodyne DD15 is dead as a door nail. 

How good is this old marvel compared to today's offerings?

Worth investing another $500 (to have amp repaired, incl roundtrip shipping, tax, etc)? Or just use as passive sub?

How does it compete to modern subs, for example SBS SB-2000 or SB-3000 (both under $1k pre owned)?

kraftwerkturbo

Man, the shipping alone would make me hesitant to have it repaired by another.  You may find a cheaper solution going with a modern plate amp from Madisound or Parts Express if you can find one that fits reasonably well.

erik_squires: only ship the very light (Class D) plate amp, 5 lb or so. 
musicaddict "take over the DD-15" based on quality INCLUDING price? Even the 12" SB-2000 (used they start around $750 or same 'value' as I assign to my repaird DD-15). 

other commenors: value/budget for decision making: $800 ($500 repair + $300 residual value). 13" SB-3000 start at $900 used. The 13.5" SV4000 starts $1,500

Also: ideally needs to move some air if I want to use in main system (VERY large volume room (3 story room, open to hallway, dining, foyer, hallway, kitchen), like my current Dayton UM18-22 18". Not sure if tiny 12" or 13" (SB-2000, SB-3000) have enough stroke, or they would be relegated to the normal room 2nd system. 

jasonbourne71 what to get 'more recent' that is better for under $800 (repaired value of DD-15)?

IMHO get NOTHING more recent and keep repairing your old one.

Getting new is taking too much chance on reliability while overhauling old one will give another life and keep going.

You can replace the plate amp yourself. Try google for a compatible replacement. I would imagine this would save you a few dollars.