Western Electric 300 B Vacuum tubes

I am going to ask what I would consider kind of a crazy question about the vacuum, because these are vacuum tubes, and my question is this: when I start up my 300 B SET-V amplifier, and I see what appears to be a vacuum, in only one of two tubes, (appearing like some sort of steam or condensation inside), is this normal? They play/sound fine …I don’t have any complaints, but I’m not used to actually being able to see a vapor inside the tube as it warms up. (Of course when you have tubes that are this expensive you tend to wonder if they are A-OK… I don’t get this experience on any of my other 300 B vacuum tubes). Maybe it’s because of their high-quality I don’t know.

has anyone had this experience as well? Thank you so much.

128x128moose89

Yep. All good. Bluish light on the lower plate to start up the tube. After the suggestion to call WE, I was assured my tubes were A-OK. (Coby was great to talk to)

@moose89 I’ve been doing this stuff for over 45 years. That’s a new one on me.

FWIW, usually anything other than the filament being lit and a light blue glow just on the inside of the glass when running, any ’lights’ or other phenomena inside a tube suggest a Bad Thing is about to happen or will happen soon. If you have another tube that isn’t doing this while this on is, that says to me that a Bad Thing is looming.

@atmasphere 

I would have to say it’s clear, like a mucus looking bit…for a brief bit…then poof…gone

@moose89 What color is the 'vapor' (BTW its not actually a vapor but it is caused by molecules in the tube)? If bluish, no concern.

I've not had this with my WE 300B's, but it seems a quick call or email to WE might have been useful, too; these are under a long warranty, after all. 

From Dennis Had:

Dave, this is completely normal No problem whatsoever. I believe the western electric website I think there’s an article about it.
Have a great day and enjoy the music 
Dennis 

A vacuum is the absence of any vapor.  it is invisible.  I don't know what you are seeing, and maybe people familiar with this tube can tell you what it is, but I know that normal is to see noting inside but clear nothingness.

Jerry

I've owned a 300b amp, and never saw any sort of condensation. I do think it could be a problem in the future. I would call the dealer you bought them from. That's a lot of money!