What are fuses used for?

I have, I’m sure to many, a very dumb question. I keep reading about fuses.  I have a fairly sophisticated system and have never come across the need for a fuse.
Can someone tell me where these fuses go and what they’re used for?
128x128rvpiano
Fuses are used to prop up the egos of some super human beings on this site who pretend they can hear the difference they make to the sound :-)

In the real world however, they will be very thoroughly investigated by your insurance company if and when you have a fire which may be caused by faulty equipment.

@phillyb asked:
Why the put downs? If he heard nothing so what. It is his money and his experience. If you heard a huge improvement then good for you. Leave it there.
You have to know the motives of Geoffy the fuse troll. He is all about defending his science fiction fuse empire, and his feeble attempts to try to make fun of legit members is how he does it. 
So, do different fuses work better for different genres of music? What fuse should I get for Rock? Blues? Jazz?

Is the same fuse (brand/series, I know I will need different ratings) best for all equipment, or will I need to try various combinations for all equipment (turntable, pre-amp, amp, cd player, speakers)?

Is there a fuse that I can swap out in my remote control, if so how important is that to sound quality?
rockass,

You catch on pretty quick...I would start with remote control. Please report back which button on your remote control now allows you to hear the subtle nuances (previously inaudible) with Rock, Blues and Jazz music 😉

For best performance listen to the fuse one way, and then reverse the other way to determine best sonic orientation.