What's my next evolution in the analog venture?

What does $1000-1500 gain me? Are new TT's in that price range going to significantly (subjective I know) step over my Technics? I have approx. 300 records and adding quite frequently to that. I listen to everything from Miles, Norah, George Strait, Phil Collins and anything classic rock (Journey, Triumph, Boston, Etc.)

My current setup consists of:

Technics SL 1700 (original) w/Ortofon om40 cart
MF V-LPS phono
Rotel integrated and cd player
B&W 685's
AntiCable and Signal Cable speaker wire and interconnects
dan711
"Along with increased resolution, a new TT will also make you more aware of things like surface noise. It won't be as forgiving as your current setup."

A "better" turntable (or analog front end which includes, table, arm, cartridge and phono preamp) will indeed offer increased resolution.

But it will NOT "make you more aware of things like surface noise". On the contrary, a better analog front end will make surface noise less noticeable for a number of reasons.
Zd542
Along with increased resolution, a new TT will also make you more aware of things like surface noise.

Has not been my experience at all.

+1 to what HDM says.

Zd542 - What table/arm/cartridge are you using ?
I agree with HDM My vinyl is about as quiet as my CD player...except for the scratches...(just talking surface noise.)
Maybe I made a mistake. When I say surface noise I'm referring to things like tick's and pop's. If thats what we are talking about, in my experience, I find that type of noise increases with resolution.
I appreciate all thoughts and opinions. I guess upgradeitis is kicking in and thought I might venture further down the analog path while completely understanding that there is always a point of diminished returns when it comes to audio equipment and money spent.

My current system sounds good but obviously it could sound better. Better meaning more money spent on higher performing equipment usually.