Where did you buy your first audio gear?

I bought my first audio gear in a Post Exchange PX store in Baumholder Germany. I was a young soldier about 20 yrs old and bought a SAE amp and Preamp, Bose 901 speakers, Sony CDP-101 CD player and a Thorens TD 320 turntable. Where did you buy your first audio gear? What did you get?

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2x2psyop

KLH Model 20 (the one without the tuner)...turntable festooned integrated with great speakers...1970 maybe?

Fun reading , 

Pacific Stereo  on Broadway in Chicago about 1974 , I walked back and forth between Midwest Stereo about a half dozen times listening and then bargaining .

Ended up with Sony 6065 receiver , Dual 1229 TT , Ampex cassette deck and BIC Venturi 6  speakers . 

1974 - Atlantis Sound in NY. Original Large Advents in walnut, Pioneer 939 Receiver (70 watts / side), BIC 940 Turntable w/ a Stanton 681 EEE cartridge w/ the silly little brush attached. 

Sounded pretty good but Blew two tweeters & a woofer playing the system too loud until I bought a second pair of speakers & then the amp would get hot but never failed. Receiver was decent, powerful, good tuner. Turntable was a piece of junk that seemed to be designed well but built poorly, should have gotten a Dual or Thorens. The stacked Advents are of course legendary w/ not the most extended high end but otherwise pretty good, even by today's standards. 

My first system (early 1980s; I was ~20 y.o.):

Pioneer Direct Drive Turntable (don’t remember source)

Pickering XSV-4000 Cartridge (Hillcrest High Fidelity, Dallas, TX)

Luxman L-450 Integrated Amp (Thompson Sound, Dallas, TX)

Luxman G-120A Graphic EQ (Thompson Sound)

Nakamichi LX-5 3-head Cassette Deck (Hillcrest High Fidelity)

Realistic Mach One Loudspeakers (Radio Shack)

Lamp Cord for Speaker Wire

Nakamichi and Luxman Factory Interconnects

I worked all summer to save up for the Nak, and dreamed of one day having a big Macintosh amp.

Tommy

The Record Shop in Youngstown, Ohio.  I borrowed money from my Dad and purchased a Sony TC-200 reel to reel tape deck in 1965.