Which cartridge is the Imaging/soundstaging champ

Hello all:
I'm a new participant in these forums, though I've read virtually every post for the last 18 months. I'm a new owner of a Scoutmaster/JMW 9.
I got a Grado Statement Sonata as a starter cartridge(also using the VPI 3 gm headshell weight), and feel like I've gotten it set up pretty wel(VTA/VTF/SRA seem as good as I can get them). I have a nice high resolution system but can't seem to create an outrageously terriffic soundstage with pinpoint imaging like my digital front end can. I really can only listen to SOTA digital recordings at this point as my analog front end is just so superior overall. I do miss the excellent imaging and stage specificity though. I'm using the Cardas Neutral Reference phono cable into my EAR 864 preamp (with wonderful Mullard NOS tubes).
I feel the Grado is the culprit. What do you think? Which cartridge in the $750-$1500 range would be the imaging champ?
Thanks for your help.
Jim
jdolgin
Jdolgin,
I might have thought that as well, but it hasn't been the case in what I've heard on Slipknot1's JMW9-now Signature with the 501II.
At least one of the big websites/catalog outfits(forget if it's musicdirect, or elusivedisc) markets this combo as a featured item. They must like them together...Cheers,
Spencer
Dougdeacon et al:
Please educate me on stylus configurations and their association with
their performance perameters. Is there a specific "sound" associated with different stylus geometries? I assume as is the case with solid state vs tubes, a lot has to do with the execution of the design. However, in the ss vs tube discussion there are frequently consistent properties of each technology.
Jim
Jim,
Interesting question!
One element of the performance of the ZYX cartridges is that they all seem to reduce surface noise. I believe I've read here that some attribute that to the microridge stylus shape. I'm not sure if that's what does it, but whatever the reason, I can attest that my Airy 3 does a better job of sifting thru surface noise than most other cartridges I've heard. It makes many of my thrift shop & garage sale finds much more enjoyable than when I had my Shelter 501II.
Perhaps someone else can expand on if the microridge shape is the main reason the ZYX carts exhibit this behavior. Cheers,
Spencer
Jdolgin,

Just to add a bit more to affirm some comments already made:

As Sbank notes, the Shelter 501 sounds superb in the JMW-9 tonearm (whether regular or Signature version). Here is yet another example of theory not playing out in reality. My experience also is based on listening to Slipknot1's system on many occasions (and again just this past week as we traded around some amplifiers in his system).

The Grado Sonata is a lovely cartridge in many respects, but pinpoint imaging is not it's strong suit. It would not surprise me at all that your digital system shows greater image specificity than the Sonata. The Grado Reference and Statement cartridges are much more competent in this regard than the Sonata, but they also are not as strong in this particular area as several of the other cartridges mentioned in this thread. The Grados do have have other fine characteristics, however, and I have enjoyed various Grado models in my system over the years.

Regards,